Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

investing in an egg?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I would like to ask all you egg owners this, I have been in the market for a new grill for a few weeks. I am tired of these other brands of grills that don't hold up under frequent use. From the looks of this green egg, I figure this might be the last grill I ever have to buy. So tell me egg owners, will this thing hold up for a long time? I have got a guy that tells me to invest in some grill that is fueled off of corn pellets, It's call a Treager or something like that. He says that it will put the egg to shame as far as flavor goes. But then this is what he sells to. I would appreciate some good sound advice. I want this to be the last time I invest in a grill. Thanks!

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    A Traeger isn't going to produce food with better flavor than any other cooker. You can achieve outstanding results in any cooker. However, yes, as you suspect, the Egg will last a very very long time. Plus with the lifetime warrantee, you don't have to worry about things that might go wrong.

The other thing the Egg has going for it is the sheer variety of foods you can cook on it. If all you want to cook is routine bbq, then a Traeger might be for you. If you want to cook everything from cold smoked cheese, to bbq, to roasting, searing, baking, paella, pizza, you name it, then the Egg will be a much better choice. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    you will get more use out of the egg, i cook roughly 4 days a week now year round thru rain snow blizzards etc. ask him to make a 900 degree pizza on that pellet thing because after the first couple years of literally cooking 6 days a week on the egg i was looking for things to cook that were not just bbq. breads, pizzas, cakes, casseroles, etc. the egg isnt just a smoker, its a well rounded out cooking machine. see if he will wok you up some oyster chicken. probably a few treager owners have added eggs to there cooking arsenal, but i have not heard an egger say they just went out and bought a pellet cooker.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • wannabebackinTexas
    Options
    The Treager is a good smoker but you'll never sear a steak at 700 - 900 degrees like you can on an egg. I have had my egg for three years and won't ever consider buying any other grill ever again. And, with all the parts I might readily available, I won't ever need to buy another grill.

Good eggin'
    _paul
  • aaind
    aaind Posts: 235
    Options
    My son has one ,Pink Pig 3 yrs old starting to rust ,
    Yes they make good food ,they dont work well in sub zero ,they take lots fuel for long cooks ,when I bought my 1st egg it was my 2nd choice ,I am so glad I got the egg ,The egg puts better flavor in food ,Never hear him talk about pizza ,they have bucket to catch the fat ,big mess ,Read the posting here ,and if you bought one and dint like ,you can get rid of an egg other end up in local land fill ,Buy a large or small egg and enjoy the best food you ever had ,I am not a know as a big time cook ,but now my family begs me to cook things on the egg ,I will soon have my 3rd egg .
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    Ceramic cooking is superior to any other method offering various cooking techniques. The ability to hold heat for 20+ hours on a load of lump and preserving moisture in meat is unequaled. The BGE is a leading manufacture being in the market for some time. Their equipment is proven and they stand behind their warranty.

I will never regret getting a BGE only that I was 48 years old before I got one. Don't make the same mistake, life is to short. ;)
  • Hitch
    Hitch Posts: 402
    Options
    Don't know about that other grill, but the egg comes with lifetime warranty, incredibly easy to use, incredible durability (cooking 4 times a week right now at least), THIS FORUM!!, and wonderful eggcessories that are constantly being developed. Big Green Egg is still a secret for most of the country and will only continue to grow in my opinion. All of the correspondence I have had with the home office has been excellent and overly helpful and kind.

The Egg is a perfect design and very fun. This forum will be the best resource you can have as a griller. Ask any question about grilling A-Z and you will have an Eggspert answer within minutes most of the time.

Welcome in advance...this is a no brainer. Become an Egg Head!
  • JimBeam
    JimBeam Posts: 22
    Options
    As far as durability, I'm 32 and cooking on one (that I'm told) is older than me.

p918684876-4.jpg

Granted, it has been repainted, but all in all it's in great shape.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Asking this forum if the egg is any good is like asking the barber wether or not you need a haircut. That being said, I've bee impressed with the durability of the eggs: so much so that I have four of them. The major components have a lifetime warranty, and the company service is outstanding. I guess you could cook good food on many contraptions, but for me, the Egg has made a tremendous difference in my cooking and has done so with ease.
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    My dealer sells Traegers, BGE's, and high-end gassers. He talked me out of a Traeger, and sold me a large egg, and I couldn't be happier. He uses a large egg at his home. The BGE is more versatile than a Traeger. Nuff said.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    the egg is the best "grill investment you can make' i wish i had all the money i spent an metal grills that rusted out..
    i use the egg 4-7 nights per week. only reason i do not egg is...take out japanese food, left overs or lasgana in the oven and i could do that on the egg as well.
    i was practacing for an egg fest last satuday morning, cheese bread, olive bread and corn bread all on the egg.
    it also becomes part of the family and a gathering place/ focus. hang out here for a while and you will see that the expensive part of eggin is buying the second and third one. there is a good reason why we keep going back for more. everything tastes better cooked on the egg.
  • Pdub
    Pdub Posts: 234
    Options
    "I figure this might be the last grill I ever have to buy" This is true but becarefull the tend to reproduce in you yard while your not looking. I think my large and small are going to produce a mini pretty soon here...

In all seriousness, once you get over the small learning curve involved with cooking with ceramics, you can turn out some amazing food.
  • Fireball II
    Fireball II Posts: 213
    Options
    Highflyer

This Forum has the most knowledgeable grillers / smoker any where and are willing to help with any issue. From eggaccessories to any food you may be cooking. The Egg is awesome for flavor and mositure. I do not think it can be beat for any type of cooks.
  • snoqualmiesmoker
    Options
    The machine with the most moving parts will wear out the fastest.

People here will show you a Egg that is 10 years old and looks like it did when it was new. Look for a Traeger grill to do that. They are constantly changing the design, and they now no longer offer the quality paint they did years ago. many are rusting out.

I wanted a Traeger so bad, searched for 2 years. Then I saw ceramic. I have done 50+ hours of cooking on my egg, and I am still on my original $20 bag of lump.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Thanks for your post.
  • HungryNephew
    HungryNephew Posts: 267
    Options
    FlaMike wrote:
    My dealer sells Traegers, BGE's, and high-end gassers. He talked me out of a Traeger, and sold me a large egg, and I couldn't be happier. He uses a large egg at his home. The BGE is more versatile than a Traeger. Nuff said.

Dad? Sold? No freebie?
  • Unknown
    Options
    Thanks to all you eggheads for the great feed back on investing in a BGE, I was impressed the first time I looked at one of these but know from past experince that it is good to ask first before you buy. I can't wait to start cooking on my BGE.
  • QCA Egger
    QCA Egger Posts: 34
    Options
    I have both grills and the Egg is a better all-around grill by far. The Traeger would use far too many pellets in everyday cooking - i.e. - burgers, brats, etc. I work at at a retail store that sells both & our Egg sales dwarf Traeger sales by far!
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Which fest are you practicing for? -RP
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    pennsylvania.. small time last year maybe 7 or 8 eggs and about 100 people i think it will be bigger this year. smokin todd, shotgun fred and bbq bob trudnak were there last year. this will be my third.
    happy birthday.
    bill
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Well have fun, we're going to Denver, Chicago, then Atlanta and that will finish our fests for the year. -RP
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    If your sales person sold both brands I would put more creedence in what was recomended. If they don't sell BGE then his base of knowledge is limited.

If I sold a specific brand, of course I would say they were the best.

I can imagine selling something and then telling my customer the other brand sure is a lot better than mine, could you...

For at least 20 years I have been searching for a better grill and a good smoker. All that time I have bought grill after grill, smoker after smoker. Last year I got my first egg (large). I still have one gass smoker which I am going to use the base to do shrimp boils, if I ever get a round to it, and I have one gass grill which holds some of my egg accessories. The bottle for the gasser is now used for a weed burner.

As for buying new cookers, I must admit, my large Big Green Egg (BGE) wasn't the last.

I did purchase some other cookers. Lets see... A medium BGE, a small BGE and my favorite the mini BGE.

For me, investing in an egg was the best thing I ever did regarding outdoor cooking.

This forum and the help offered from others is a big part of the enjoyment of the egg. Of course the food is excelent. Makes me look like a cooking king.

GG
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    The dealer I bought my first egg from moved out of the city. He sold the building for more money then he made in business there. He is too far away for me now with 4.00 a gallon gas. I am using another dealer who I bought my 2nd egg from amd every Saturday and egg is out front of his store making lunch. www.godbyhearth.com check it out. They sell all types of grills fireplaces etc. and I kidded him about the egg being use when he has 2 big builtin gasser and he says The egg is the only thing in this store that can give me control and flavor. I can **** on anything but I can't get the flavor an egg gets.
    E
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    It has been said that normal grills you buy will cost you $100/year to operate/last. The BGE will cost you $1/year to operate/last. You can do the math yourself now. Looks like my Large will last about 600 years.