Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Simple Spatchcock Tip

BluesnBBQ
BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night I did a spatchcocked chicken and I did something I never thought of trying before. Before I cut the backbone out I cut the wings off. When I cooked the bird, I put the wings on at the same time, and had a nice snack before the rest of the bird was done.

I don't know if something like this has been posted before, but I think the final cooked bird is easier to deal with without the wings, and you get a little appetizer before the meal is ready. I'll probably do all of my spatchcock chickens this way from now on.

Comments

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 357
    If I did that I would be in a heap of dung. The wings are my wifes favorite chicken parts. She says it's like a mixture of white and dark meat together.
  • BluesnBBQ
    You can cut the wings off, cook them seperately and serve them to your wife while the rest of the bird cooks.
  • AuntieEgger
    AuntieEgger Posts: 258
    NO WAY!!!! You would put a wingless bird on the table for supper!!!! :ohmy:

MMmm that’s just not right and it may even be against the law

Given the fact that the 4 of us fight about who’s turn it is to get the wings ,, if there were no wings what would we squabble about? :unsure:

Heck that would take the fun out of supper time :evil:

AuntieEgger
  • BluesnBBQ
    IMHO, the wings are a special treat, reserved for the chef, for him or her to eat while cooking. :evil:

When I cook a spatchcocked chicken, the leg quarters usually come apart from the rest of the bird while cooking. The final cooked chicken is served in three or more pieces (sometimes I split the main part of it into two breasts).
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Another solution: Cook a slew of wings! Here are my favorite chicken parts:

1) The 2 little nodules on the back (some call them "oysters")

2) Thighs

3) Wings
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    I love wings. In my house no one gets them unless I ok it....and since I'm doing the cooking and cutting they are gone before they hit the table