Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken breast help

dublin
dublin Posts: 140
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What temp should I cook 1 inch Chicken breasts marinating in tandoori sauce.
What temp for the fire?
What temp should the chicken be ready??[p]As always
Thank you
dublin

Comments

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    dublin,[p]Meat temp should be no higher than 160º.....it will be dry above that.[p]You can cook them at about any grill temp....keep in mind, if they are bone-in breasts, they may take 30-40 minutes to cook at around 350-400º. I personally cook these using indirect heat on my kettle grill.[p]If they are the boneless variety(sounds like what you may have.....1" is very thin), only about 10 minutes to finish. I cook these over high, direct heat.[p]Stogie
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Stogie, you're right. And as you mentioned, keep close watch. Cooking direct with thin strips it is easy to go above 160 (and get dry meat). However, if you catch it right at 160, these are absolutely delicious - better than any chicken strips you can buy in a restaurant.

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Hey Ray,[p]Since you are quickly becoming a true grilling/barbecuing machine, the link below will take you to an instrument that will help you measure crucial temps in seconds flat..... like to pull that cutlet off at exactly 160 or steak at 145 or check several points on your weekend turkey in a few seconds..... allowing you to open the dome, check and close without anytime lost.[p]YB turned me onto it earlier this year and I finally got one last month. Good for when you want to know exact temps. Their customer service is top notch.[p]WD

[ul][li]Thermapen[/ul]
  • Mikey
    Mikey Posts: 56
    That is cool. Is it really that fast? I hate waiting for a Polder to stabilize.

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    mikey,[p]Yes, 4 seconds max on mine... all within plus or minus 1 degree. Like you I have no patience with slow thermometers.[p]WD

• Does anybody use a commercial quality thermometer for low and slow cooks. I have had bad luck with the "polders" burning out.