Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How would you make your butt more Mexican?

Options
mukl
mukl Posts: 66
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thats pork butt. You know, the kind you cook. Not how do I dress to make my butt more Mexican. :)

Some friends love my pulled pork and want to have some for a party this weekend. The theme is Mexico, so we're going to do pulled pork tacos. I'm usually a Dizzy Dust kind of guy, but want to turn things more hispanic.

Any ideas? How about incoporating some peppers in adobo sauce? Not sure where I would incoporate them.

More cumin...always more cumin. There is never enough cumin in the world.

Glaze with Corona.

Something like that.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    65503c53.jpg

Maybe do a Cuban style mojo marinade on it and serve the pulled pork with fresh tortillas instead of taco shells.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • mukl
    Options
    Interesting.
    So using a marinade, even if it's going to be in there for 14 hours is still a good idea? OK. Thought it would all just go away...or something.
    Nice.
    Thanks.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Pulled pork burritos works for me.
    bur7.jpg

Mike
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Yeah, I might opt for a foil finish once it gets to 165° internal, then you could add more seasonings & some of the marinade into the foil to insure the flavor sticks around. I've done this with small butts or country style ribs with good results.

I do like to stud them with garlic, which is really good.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • mukl
    Options
    Nice.
    Did you do anything to the pork to make it more Mexican and less barbecue?
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I don't add bbq sauce to the pork after pulling. Then add some spicy refried beans/ 4 Mex cheese to the shell. Top with salsa.

Mike
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    http://www.fronterakitchens.com/
    Rick Bayliss does Mexican in Chicago and has a PBS show. He will have plenty of ideas. Give this link a try.
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    There is something called Puerco Pibil that I beleive could be adjusted to the BGE. It is steamed in the oven in banana leaves rather than smoked. Here is the basic recipe, any great cooking minds have ideas for adapting it to the Egg?

Puerco Pibil
    (serves 8-10 as a part of a meal)
    5 lb pork shoulder roast (preferably boneless, but doesn't matter)
    3-4 large dried guajillo chili peppers, seeds removed, chopped
    4-6 whole garlic cloves, peeled
    Juice from 2 blood oranges (about 1/4 c)
    Salt and Pepper to taste
    2 tsp Mexican dried oregano
    1 c beer (or less, depends on cooking method)

Directions:
    1. Oven Roasted Method:
    Salt and pepper pork roast. Meanwhile, mix all other ingredients with 1 cup beer in a food processor or blender until a cohesive sauce comes together (no chunks). Pour over roast and let slow roast in the oven, covered with foil, at 300 for 8 hours.
    To serve:
    Shred roast with 2 forks and serve with tortillas, salsa, limes, cilantro, shredded cabbage or lettuce, guacamole or anything you want.
  • Desert Filly
    Desert Filly Posts: 1,042
    Options
    well, you could do pulled pork quesadillas, or better... pulled pork cheese crisp...with salsa.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Dang Mike, now that sounds good. Not tonight, more blackened catfish.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Boy oh boy, some good ideas here.

Sometimes I just love post titles.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Guess I better contribute here...

Frito scoops or tortila cups. Small amount of pulled pork, small amount of refried beans, a nice spoon full of cream cheese onion ball, topped of with a good salsa.

With or without the pulled pork this is great - - great snack or appetizer.

GG
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Here is how I do it. I've done 5-6 butts this way. It's cuban but it would work for Mexican.

Ingredients
    4 1/2 cups fresh orange juice, divided
    1 1/4 cups fresh lime juice, divided
    Zest of 1 orange
    Zest of 1 lime
    1/4 cup finely chopped fresh oregano
    1/2 cup garlic, coarsely chopped
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1 bone-in pork shoulder (about 4 to 6-pounds), trimmed of excess fat
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Combine 4 cups of the orange juice and 1 cup of the lime juice and zest in a large saucepan over high heat and reduce to 2 cups.
    Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining orange juice and lime juice garlic, oregano and olive oil.
    Let cool to room temperature.

Marinate the pork roast in the refrigerator over night
    Remove the pork from the refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking.
    Place roast and marinade in a pan
    Add fresh ground black pepper to taste
    Cook at dome temp of 250 until internal temperature of 195-200
    Occasionally baste with the juices in the pan
    Wrap with HDAF and place in a cooler for an hour or so
    Pull and enjoy with Mojo dipping sauce

Mojo Dipping Sauce:
    8 cloves garlic, chopped
    2 serrano chiles, chopped
    3 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
    Salt
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1/4 cup lime juice
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    Using a mortar and pestle, mash the garlic, serrano, cilantro and a few pinches of salt until it becomes a paste. Add the orange juice, lime juice and oil and stir to combine.

101_2011640x480.jpg

IMG_0855800x600.jpg

Mojo Sauce
    101_1828640x480.jpg

Modified a recipe that I found on Food Network for sliced cuban pork. Only mods were low and slow and taking it to a higher temp for pulling instead of slicing.
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    Options
    Tacos al Pastor

Things You’ll Need:

* Ten pasilla chilies
    * Ten guajillo chilies
    * 1/2 garlic bulb
    * 1/4 liter white vinegar
    * 1/4 tsp. cumin powder
    * Five cloves
    * Salt
    * One can pineapple
    * 2 lbs. pulled pork
    * One onion
    * Cilantro
    * One lime
    * Corn tortillas
    * Mixing bowl or casserole tray for marinating
    * Plastic wrap or aluminum foil
    * Small pot
    * Tongs
    * Skillet

Step1
    Remove the stems and seeds from the pasilla and guajillo chilies, and then slice the peppers into thin vertical pieces. Add the vinegar, garlic, cloves and cumin to the chilies, and mash these ingredients into a pulp. Avoid touching this mixture with your bare hands, since it will immediately burn your skin.
    Step2
    Boil the mixture in a small pot until you make a soft paste. Stir constantly until you achieve a smooth, albeit slightly chunky consistency. Allow the contents to cool before you apply the mixture to the meat.
    Step3
    Put the pork in the marinade, using a pair of tongs to avoid contact with your skin. You will need to marinate the pork for at least 24 hours in advance.
    Step4
    Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or aluminum foil or plastic wrap, and place the bowl in your refrigerator for at least 6 hours (overnight is better).
    Step5
    Removed the marinated meat from the refrigerator and allow it to return to room temperature, which will take around an hour.
    Step6
    Chop up the onions and cilantro together and place in a small bowl when you make tacos al pastor.
    Step7
    Reheat the meat in a skillet until it is slightly crispy around the edges and the pork is fully heated throughout. Add the pineapple slices to the meat while it cooks.
    Step8
    Serve with the small corn tortillas, with the onion and cilantro mix on top. Slice up the limes and squeeze the juice all over the tacos al pastor just before serving.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX