Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The other hobby...

Options
Hitch
Hitch Posts: 402
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I notice that some on here really enjoy golf. Being from Augusta, I didn't really have a choice. Thought I would share some pics that aren't cluttered with crowds of the Augusta National.

Driving in...

RANDOM002.jpg

Range

RANDOM005.jpg

#1 Tee
RANDOM010.jpg

My buddy on #12.

RANDOM014.jpg

Birdie on #13 :woohoo:

RANDOM019.jpg

My buddy fulfilling a life long dream...hilarious but true. Not a smoker!

RANDOM021.jpg

View over course from Clubhouse
RANDOM031.jpg

Clubhouse

RANDOM030.jpg

RANDOM039.jpg

RANDOM042.jpg

Comments

• Nardi513
    Nardi513 Posts: 66
    Options
    Great pictures, must be incredible to play at Augusta!
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    Just beautiful!

Congrats!

I'm jealolus - how'd you manage? :ohmy:

How was it? Details. :P
    South SLO County
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Very cool opportunity. If it becomes a regular game, let me know. I am sure I could swap you a small or mini for a round there ;)
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Nice pictures...I have spent a lot of time there myself.My brother in law is a egger and a member of the Augusta National.
    Larry
  • Hitch
    Hitch Posts: 402
    Options
    A close friend/ co Board member is a member there and he has invited me a couple of times. My first time was a couple of years ago and it is all you think it would be. It is, of course, the most nerve racking first tee shot you will ever take. The foursome is really an 8-some with the caddies, and you really want to impress them for some reason. My first drive went straight right into the woods. Thankfully they told us to hit 2 off the first. Managed a par on the 1st on my way to a 38 on the front (birdied downhill par 3 #6 with a 1 ft tap in). Front nine was good but not great for me, but then again...

My caddie was a 60 something year old named Lewis. I ended up referring to him as St. Louis as he easily saved me 10 strokes on the green. He has caddied for 30+ years out there, and was on a bag in 15 Masters. Knew Mr. Roberts pretty well it seemed. He watched me on the range for 30 minutes and actually made some adjustments/ suggestions with my swing. Once on the course, he NEVER let me choose a club. Just handed me what he was willing to let me hit. Even around the green. He kept my driver in his hand on the green and told me to putt to where he indicated with my driver. "This is the hole...putt like this is the hole." He must have said that on every hole. I would have misread most putts by a mile. Especially speed.

Ended up with a triple on 15, and didn't even go in the water. Hit it in the trees on the left at the top of the hill, and they had let the rough grow up. Took three shots to get it out of there. Three putted as well. Ended up with an 81, but should have easily been a high 70's round. It is not long at all from the Member's tee boxes, and just incredible to look behind you on the tee and see where the big boys play from.

The day is a perfect day as we get there around 11:00, and hang out in the clubhouse. Visit the real pro shop where you can get stuff you cannot get the week of the tournament. My buddy spend over $1,000 in there a couple of months ago when we played.

Lunch in the grill is very good as you can imagine. I have had the club sandwich, burger, and a melt of some kind.
    Then it is off to the range and putting green before tee off.
    Play from 1:30ish till 5:30 and then drinks in the grill.

Oh yeah, every time I have to get the "regular" at the turn. The drink of choice on the turn is a Transfusion. Grape Juice, Ginger Ale, and Vodka (I think). Whatever it is it is real tasty. There is someone waiting on the 10th tee to take your drink order and fix it right there.

So much fun to walk the course and not have all the stands around and just play the shots you have watched for ever.

The last time I played, Amen Corner took me behind the woodshed. +6 on those three alone.

Well, gotta get, but this has been fun. I love to go and am so grateful for the opportunity when it is given.

I recommend putting it on your Bucket List if you haven't already.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    ahhh..Hitch...I'm green with envy...I'm an avid golfer and quite often play Valhalla where this year's Ryder Cup will be played..but never got on Augusta..you're a lucky guy! Thx for the pix!
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Absolutely amazing!!

Thanks for sharing.

Greg
  • Unknown
    Options
    i have allready tld my family that when my time is up i want my ashes spread at augusta national....if i ever was lucky enough to hit one shot there?? i think i would die content right then and there :)
  • Unknown
    Options
    larry i have the items you sent put in a frame i thank you once again for being so kind!!
  • EgginDawg
    EgginDawg Posts: 747
    Options
    Like millions of other golfers my one real dream before I leave this earth is to play a round at Augusta National. I've been many times but don't know the right people. I'm workin on it though!
  • Chef Charles
    Chef Charles Posts: 871
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this story. Like most golfers, a chance to play Augusta would be nirvana.

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Smokin-AJ's
    Options
    I too have enjoyed Augusta area. I had a chance to go to the tournament the last three years and it has been awesome. I probably will never ever play the course but who cares. Just walking on the greens is play enough for me.
  • Smokin-AJ's
    Options
    I too have enjoyed Augusta area. I had a chance to go to the tournament the last three years and it has been awesome. I probably will never ever play the course but who cares. Just walking on the greens is play enough for me.
  • BigGreenDawg
    BigGreenDawg Posts: 327
    Options
    Wow Hitch,
    I've played some cool places but nothing close to Augusta. A high school friend is/ or was the players liason (I think that's what you call it). some day....some day.
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Where have you been?It's good to see you post.
    Larry