Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump storage???

mikeb6109
mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK i know this has been asked before but i do not remember the replies. so my question is ...can i leave me lump outside if it is protected by the rain? will it acquire moisture and make my lump bad? i live in Atlantic Canada were the temps are far from being perfect.it rains, it snows,and it gets hot then humid,so i would love to store some close to the egg not having to run down to the basement every time. plus i am getting ready to make myself a table and storage area for my egg and eggessories.thanks for all your help and information.

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    I use a large tupperware bin to store my bags of open lump in. It closes up pretty tight.
  • I lost a lot of Wicked Good when I left it protected but outside over a winter. YMMV

Spacey
  • WileECoyote
    WileECoyote Posts: 516
    I also use a large plastic container. It doesn't have a rubber seal so it is not airtight but it still seals well enough to keep the moisture out, plus it can fit an entire 22 lb. bag of Wicked Good lump in the container at one time. And I live in the warm humid south but it still does great.

I got the lump container at Walmart for about $6, I think it was made by Sterilite. The wood chip containers came from the dollar store but you can get those at Walmart too.

Here are some pics of the containers under my egg table:

tableaccessories1.jpg
    tableaccessories2.jpg
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,662
    someone steal it? ive got bags that have rotted apart but the lump still works, wet or damp lump just takes a little longer to light, ive even used some where roots were starting to grow thru it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RebelEgg
    RebelEgg Posts: 45
    I store mine in a large rubbermade storage bin. Never had a problem using it. About $11.00 dollars at home depot.
  • WileECoyote
    The outdoor winter part has me curious too. I currently have about 15 bags of WGC stored in a wooden shed which has a full shingled roof and siding. No rain gets in but it will be exposed to the cold in the winter since it isn't insulated. Of course it is generally less humid in the winter so I would expect it to stay dry, and even if it did get damp I would expect it to dry out as soon as the first hot days arrived in the spring or summer. In the hot weather it must be 120+ inside that shed which should be enough to dry out anything.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Lump will absorb whatever moisture it is exposed to. Rain, snow, humidity, spills.

A lidded container mostly will prevent such problems.

Kingsford has a great charcoal storate bucket that I have used for a year not and no problems whatsoever. It is exposed to all elements.

GG
  • mikeb6109
    i tried to find one of those here in canada but came up with nothing!! i even wrote to kingsford and they never replied, i guess they want quatity and not customer satisfaction!!
    some day i might find one.
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    A plastic trash can is fine for protecting a bag of lump near the Egg. I usually store my larger stash in a shed. I have, however, left some Wicked Good exposed and it got plenty wet but worked fine after a couple days.
  • WileECoyote
    There are some charcoal containers available online which aren't too bad:

Galvanized bin, $35 on ebay
    DSCN4141.JPG

Kingsford Kaddy, $20 on Amazon
    31WkodP6jaL._SL500_AA250_.jpg

Kingsford Kaddy, $12 on Amazon
    311fWyIdNSL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Mike,

Canadian tire and Rona have them. They are usually on sale in the fall.

Dteve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• mikeb6109
    tried them and they had no idea what i was talking about.
    i guess i will go with just the plain old rubber maid storage bin.
  • Chef Charles
    Chef Charles Posts: 871
    Thanks for raising this issue. In Ottawa it is always a good idea to plan ahead for winter and I have been wondering how I will change my current setup. I was figuring on storing some lump in a plastic covered bin and only replenishing it when required. I think I will follow your lead and get a rubbermaid one too.

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Lump charcoal will not deteriorate as briquettes will when exposed to moisture. Briquettes are made with wood char which is basically the small particles of lump charcoal that is mixed with coal, food starch and other essential ingredients. When the briquettes are exposed to excessive moisture, the starch breaks down and the briquettes will fall apart.

The lump charcoal will also absorb moisture, but as other posters have said, it might take a little longer to light (the fire to start will evaporate the moisture). I would recommend that you use some type of storage to keep the product dry. Suggestions from others as to a Rubber Maid container or plastic trash can will work fine.

Charcoal has been found in ancient archeological sites that will still burn after thousands of years.