Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Speaking Of Ribs...I Found My Secret To Success

Options
FlaMike
FlaMike Posts: 648
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A few days ago, I did 2 slabs of spares from Costco. Nice, meaty ones. They took about 7 hrs, and came out as perfect as they could be... as opposed to my last rib cook, which were done as few hrs early, and came out overdone. Cause I wasn't paying attention.

Here's what I learned. Ribs need to be attended to!

You can put on a pork butt and forget about it for the entire cook, just watch the temp. It will be good, no action required.

But ribs need to be watched. The temp needs to be watched. The first few hours let them be, but then a spritz here & there, an hourly check for even cooking, maybe turn the grid a little, and after 3 hours or so, the "lift-in-the-middle" test for doneness should be a must. By doing that, you can't miss. No more surprises.

Some slabs take a little less time, some a little longer, but at least when they're done, if you've been watching, they'll come off at just the right time for you.

Any comments?

Comments

• dls2122
    dls2122 Posts: 66
    Options
    I made ribs for the 1st time a couple weeks agao (I'm new so everything is a 1st time at the moment). They turned out pretty good, but a little overcooked - but still very good. What is the "lift-in-the-middle" test?

Thanks,
    Don
  • FlaMike
    Options
    You slide some tongs under the middle of the slab and lift. If the slab droops, and the meat looks l ike it's beginning to tear a little, it's done. If it feels stiff, and doesn't want to bend much, than it's not done yet.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I'm a little confused.... You suggested doing the lift-in-the-middle test after 3 hours, yet you said your ribs took all of 7 hours to cook. Were they that meaty, and what temp were you cooking at? Thanks!
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    I agree. Ribs tend to be much more work than a Butt.

Greg
  • FlaMike
    Options
    When I said 3 hrs, that's just in case they're going to be done in 4 hrs. You'll have time to sauce if you want. My last batch took 7 hrs, but I started checking at 3 just to be safe. I didn't sauce until 6 1/2.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    That's more better! Butts have been great but I still can't rave about my ribs.. Thank you, as I never thought they could take up to 7 hours before passing the "test"!
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Options
    Mike,
    What was your Grid and Dome Temp.?
    Ross
  • FlaMike
    Options
    Dome temp at 250°. Don't usually do a grid temp. Hickory and Guava chunks, Blues Hog sauce for last 30 min on meat side. Adjustable rig, 2 levels. Drip pan, no water. Spritz with apple juice/apple vinegar combo after 2 hrs, and once more about 3-4 hrs. That's it. Checked it every hour after that.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I've always said it takes practice and if that is a 6pack/2 margarita cook (thanks baccus) so be it. :woohoo:
    Now where are those pics? :ohmy:

Mike
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Options
    Mike,
    Thanks for the imput.
    Ross
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    I've also found if you cook them flat and leave the bones down the whole time, the bottoms really draw up and cook too myuch. I sometimes start with meat down and flip a few hours later.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Rascal,

I have never had a rack of spare's or baby take 7 hours. I have a hard time going past 4 hrs.

Dome calibrated, indirect, raised grid. I keep reading these long times but have never experienced it.

GG
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    I have always had good luck with ribs. Here is the HungryMan technique. (SpareRibs) Indirect. 375Degrees for 45 min. 2hours at 250. Flip a time or two. Check with the fold test. When you think it's ready, temp back to 375. sauce up (if you want) and a few minutes on each side to crisp up. Guidelines only. I have cooked them faster and slower like the prove Carwash Mike method. It's all good to me.
  • FlaMike
    Options
    Pics?.... well, uh, oh my, geez, um, I must have forgotten them. Was so happy they turned out good, didn't think of pics until it was too late. Next time, promise.