Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Highest temperature

Options
Marsvigilia
Marsvigilia Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the highest temperature which the BGE ceramic is able to accommodate without cracking or melting?

Thanks.

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Higher than it will get with lump charcoal in it.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    At least 3 times higher then you will ever need to cook!!
  • ChefTone
    ChefTone Posts: 42
    Options
    dangerously hot,make sure you burb egg at high temps...

ANTHONY
  • Marsvigilia
    Options
    Well...

I wasn't thinking of just cooking. :evil:

It occurred to me that if you applied forced air through the bottom you could significantly increase the amount of oxygen and therefore the temperature at which the charcoal would burn.

So the maximum temperature that the ceramic can withstand is an important consideration.

Just imagine, how many people have a BBQ that doubles as a forge.
  • jamiemeyer
    jamiemeyer Posts: 97
    Options
    I have often wondered if folks use this as a forge or a kiln. Now I know!

I have seen reviews of high-temp charcoal burn-offs that reach 1200* F plus. Not sure if that is the area where you need for a forge, it was more of a science project. I am not an authoritative source!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    A lot of potrery, low temp clay is fired about 2000°F. Porcelin and high temp clay fire about 2500°F, Glass a little higher. Porcelin will shrink 15% when fired.

I have no idea the material eggs are made out of but it is somewhat soft and therefore I would guess they are fired somewhere in those ranges. The glaze could be at a much lower temp.

One could pick up a used kiln or forge for a lot less money than an egg and be a heck of a lot safer.

GG
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    Hey, if you want to see some high temps, get your BGE up to about 400*, then pour in a little liquid oxygen. I guarantee you'll hit record temps, QUICK!
    How to light a grill in 2 seconds