Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Highest temperature

MarsvigiliaMarsvigilia Posts: 6
edited 6:47AM in EggHead Forum
What is the highest temperature which the BGE ceramic is able to accommodate without cracking or melting?

Thanks.
·

Comments

• FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
    Higher than it will get with lump charcoal in it.
    ·
  • Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,768
    At least 3 times higher then you will ever need to cook!!
    ·
  • ChefToneChefTone Posts: 42
    dangerously hot,make sure you burb egg at high temps...

ANTHONY
    ·
  • Well...

I wasn't thinking of just cooking. :evil:

It occurred to me that if you applied forced air through the bottom you could significantly increase the amount of oxygen and therefore the temperature at which the charcoal would burn.

So the maximum temperature that the ceramic can withstand is an important consideration.

Just imagine, how many people have a BBQ that doubles as a forge.
    ·
  • jamiemeyerjamiemeyer Posts: 97
    I have often wondered if folks use this as a forge or a kiln. Now I know!

I have seen reviews of high-temp charcoal burn-offs that reach 1200* F plus. Not sure if that is the area where you need for a forge, it was more of a science project. I am not an authoritative source!
    ·
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    A lot of potrery, low temp clay is fired about 2000°F. Porcelin and high temp clay fire about 2500°F, Glass a little higher. Porcelin will shrink 15% when fired.

I have no idea the material eggs are made out of but it is somewhat soft and therefore I would guess they are fired somewhere in those ranges. The glaze could be at a much lower temp.

One could pick up a used kiln or forge for a lot less money than an egg and be a heck of a lot safer.

GG
    ·
  • Michael BMichael B Posts: 986
    Hey, if you want to see some high temps, get your BGE up to about 400*, then pour in a little liquid oxygen. I guarantee you'll hit record temps, QUICK!
    How to light a grill in 2 seconds
    ·