Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Last Nights 500* Chicken

Ross in VenturaRoss in Ventura Posts: 6,746
edited 7:41AM in EggHead Forum
DSCN3440.jpg
First I put spacers on the platesetter.
DSCN3441.jpg
Then the drip pan with the grid on top
DSCN3442.jpg
Chicken stuffed with a cutup Tangerine and Southern Flavor grilling spice, and Southern Flavor Garlic seasoning.
DSCN3443.jpg
DSCN3445.jpg
Chicken off after 1-hr.
DSCN3446.jpg
The Chicken was crispy on the outside and tender and moist on the inside. I well continue to cook whole chickens this way.
Ross
·

Comments

• BoneDaddy'sBoneDaddy's Posts: 256
    Is that Nerf football stuffed up that hole :-) That looks really good. What was in your rub?
    Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering
    ·
  • Ross in VenturaRoss in Ventura Posts: 6,746
    Southern Flavor Grilling Seasoning.
    Ross
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,352
    Ross,

Very nice! I have to try this method.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • StanleyStanley Posts: 623
    Did the spacers limit the amount of burning-fat smoke? I'm still chasing the bright illusive crispy skin of love...
    ·
    Stanley,
    Yes it dose, I had a little smoke the last 15-min. I think it helped a lot!.
    Ross
    ·
  • DynaGreaseballDynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    Ross. Glad the 500* chicken worked for you. I noticed that you had some success minimizing the burt smoke smell. I've never had a problem with that smell affecting the taste or smell of the finished product. What I have had difficulty with, was collecting the juice fromt he chicken as it cooked. It was burnt to a crisp, even with the balls of foil which I used to create an air space between the plate setter and the drip pan. Were you able to keep that from happening?
    ·
  • Seriously. I did think it was a Nerf football. I assume those are oranges?????
    ·
  • JimBeamJimBeam Posts: 22
    Looks good.

What size bird was it and for how long did it cook?
    ·
    I didnt much smoke at all, raising the drip pan helped a lot.
    Ross
    ·
    Tangerines.
    Ross
    ·
    4.5lb 1hr.
    Ross
    ·
  • ric3677ric3677 Posts: 278
    How could you afford to use copper fittings?...you know what that stuff costs these days? LOL

Nice looking bird.

Rickyd
    ·
  • ChefToneChefTone Posts: 42
    WHAT CAME FIRST THE CHICKEN OR THE EGG ?

CHEERS
    ANTHONY
    ·
    Ross,

I have some split bone-in skin on breasts and some leg quarters. Egg is at 500# platesetter in inverted. Should I go for it?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    Mike,
    Watch it carefully.
    Ross
    ·
    less than an hour, let use know how it turn out.
    Ross
    ·
  • genewgenew Posts: 40
    hey ross...notice on your 500 chicken cooks you are always using a whole chicken. ever use a spatchcock and if so i take it the whole bird is better in your opinion?? i suppose the 500 would be a little high for the spatchcock?? thanks for the info on the 500.
    gene
    ·
    Gene,
    You might try spatchcock for a shorter time pull at 165*internal and let it rest.
    Ross
    ·
    Ross,

Did the kids already and they are raving about it. Trying to get the medium back up to 500# right now.
    It's really hard to please ten year old girls but they are actually eating.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    Ross,

I used dizzy dust fine to season and rub.

002-8.jpg

500# for roughly 45 minutes (went by temp)

006-7.jpg
    The Princesses are still eating. I don't know if that is princessi

011-8.jpg

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    Steven,
    I'm glade it worked for you. Great looking Famly!
    My Best,
    Ross
    ·
  • JeffersonianJeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    I did your 500* chicken a few days ago, Ross, and it was very, very good. Just a little EVOO and DP Redeye, then an hour on the Egg. I will say I am the world's worst poultry carver, so I'm going with chicken parts next time so it doesn't wind up looking like a cross between the Galloping Gourmet and the Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
    ·