Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pampered Chef Pizza Stone

Options
EggME
EggME Posts: 116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone ever used the Pampered Chef Pizza Stone on the egg to make pizza and if you did was it a bad experience? I don't want anything to happen to my stone but I really don't want to buy another one if I don't have to.

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Word on the "street" is that they break after multiple uses. Others have used with no problem. Best advice is to get the BGE stone, IMHO.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I have used one for over a dozen pizza cooks without incident. The stone and wirerack fits in my medium BGE which I place on the placesetter. I believe in pre-heating the stone with the egg and cook my pies at 400 dome temp for 30 minutes. If it ever breaks I will probably replace it with a BGE stone.
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Here is a pic from Naked Whiz's site on the pampered chef pizza stone.

pchef.jpg

Take a read through the link.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/pizza.htm

Greg
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    This photo was sent to me by a reader:

pchef.jpg

That is how he found the stone, he didn't move it around. I wouldn't use one in the Egg unless you had something shielding it from direct radiant heat, like another pizza stone or firebrick. If you want to use it at normal pizza temps of 550-650 degrees, I think its days are numbered.
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    You beat me by a few seconds, lol!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Grillmama
    Grillmama Posts: 194
    Options
    I have one and I am not going to use it because of what everybody says. I went to Walmart yesterday and bought a metal pizza pan with holes in it. It was only about $6.00 and change. It also came with a 12" crisper pizza pan.

:)
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    :)

Definitely didn't forget to give you the credit. I owe it to you after those plans for the Restaurant Cart for the Small EGG.

Your instructions were spot on, and I saved a ton of $$.

Thanks again for that!!

Greg
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    ours did not hold up...

do you have a platesetter? is fo, you can buy a pizza screen and go with that on top of the platesetter.

my set up isn't too impressive. it's platestter legs UP, grid, with the pizza in an aluminum pizza pan (perforated) on the grid. when i stopped putting the pizza directly on stone, the bottoms stopped burning.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I bought one and it broke after three pizza cooks.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• 407BGE
    407BGE Posts: 187
    Options
    http://www.fornobravo.com/store/Professional-Grade-Pizza-Stone-13-5-8-Round-p-16181.html

I have this one and it has a 10 year warrantee. It is pretty heavy and I have only used it a couple of times but no issues.

Last time I cooked pizza's at 800 on the stone that was heated for an hour. Pizza's were done in 4 minutes flat.

Unfortunately :blink: the gasket did not hold up as well. :blink:
  • Chef Charles
    Chef Charles Posts: 871
    Options
    I can personally echo the experience of others. Ours lasted only two cooks and looked just like the picture the Naked Whiz posted. We have since bought the BGE stone and we are going to christen it this coming weekend.

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Spaceman Spiff
    Options
  • thesadsack
    Options
    You are absolutly right re the temperature and the cook time. No pizza should ever take more than 4 minutes.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Might want to get a nomex gasket for that 4 minute pizza cook.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    407BGE,

I have BGE stones for my Large and XL. I only have a medium egg available to me right now. Never had any problems wirh the BGE stones in many years of use.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mariner Mike
    Options
    That's what I use and it works great. It's just a little darker now than when it was used in the oven.
  • Mariner Mike
    Options
    I wasn't aware of the problems with the Pampered Chef stone before posting. I've used mine for pizzas on about 10 ocassions. I use mine on a large egg, on top of a plate setter with the legs down. I preheat the plate setter and stone together.

Maybe I've been lucky. I might need to get a new stone.
  • BlackLabLover
    Options
    My Pampered Chef stone broke the very first time using it. :(  I had that thing for decades!
  • RammaJamma
    Options
    Don't do it.  Spend the extra money and get the BGE stone.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Still using mine.  I already had it; so why not try it; thought it would crack; still hasn't after multiple 550* cooks.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    :-? 2008 thread. I guess it's relevant today as well.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    500 said:

Still using mine.  I already had it; so why not try it; thought it would crack; still hasn't after multiple 550* cooks.

You'll be fine at those temps.
    It's when you do a high temp pizza cook (650℉-750℉ and some go higher). I started using my wife's PC but, bought the BGE stone and have went as high as 800℉ w/ it. But, now I personally I like going 650℉-700℉. FWIW w/ a high temp you will ruin the PC because it's not designed to withstand those high of temps.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I had a big square pizza stone - thin like the pampered chef.  I used it under the egg.  Gerd durn thing broke from the heat.  From what I can tell, the thicker the stone the more durable it is in the egg, and at these crazy high temperatures we can hit (that you can't hit in consumer ovens).
    This thread proves Little Steven has been around a long time truly a legend.
    Lexington TN
  • Chef Charles
    Chef Charles Posts: 871
    Options
    The Pampered Chef company was pleased to replace our stone when we told the sales representative that it broke on us.  It is still in prestine shape gathering dust in our basement.

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Pizza Stone & Pizza Peel SetProduct # CD4413-ROUNDPIZZASTONE-13IN +CD61220-12X13X22PIZZAPEEL-PIZZA-PEEL-SET
    Retail $57.99 and up
    On Sale $29.95
    Our pizza stone & pizza peel set can last for years! It is made from triple fired clay and it is very strong. Perfect for a crispy crusted pizza, every time. Our 13 inch round pizza stone is made from triple fired clay, here in the USA. It is a great choice for a crispy crusted bread or thin crusted pizza. This handmade stone is made of the finest heat retaining clays available and fired at over 2300 degrees F. With repeat use it will continue to harden and actually improve. Fits in any oven and most grills! It measures aprox. 13 in. diameter. This Pizza Stone is made from an exclusive and unique heat resistant compound. This PIZZA Stone is made in USA, Weight is aprox. 7 lbs. Ours is extremely durable. Pizza Peels are ideal for removing pizzas from hot pizza stones and ours is solid Basswood. This renewable wood source is environmentally friendly. A peel makes it easy to slide the pizza in or out of your hot oven or BBQ grill. Simple storage, hang it up or store it in or above cabinets, grill or the oven. Using a peel keeps hands away from heat source.
     @Chef_Charles you should be using that stone for lower heat cooks. Further to this old thread, found the above a few months ago at the Chef's Depot. I use the 13" stone in my MBGE. They also offer a 16". The peel is average, I sill use an open baking sheet for getting the pie on and off the egg,  SWMBO likes the peel for serving. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    Options
    Use mine all the time between 550 and 700.  Perhaps the setup of the stone my be the issue.  I use the platesetter legs down with a pampered chef pie plate upsidedown (as a spacer to get it above the gasket) with the pizza stone on top of that.  I wouldn't use it on the grate.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    I have used one for several years and so far no issues what so ever. I normally good pies around the 550 mark, I am sure someday it will break and when it does I'll invest in something thicker.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I have never had an issue with mine.  I use it because I already had it on hand.  I use it on top of the PS with a few spacers.
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site