Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Mates (Shelves)

Options
JimBeam
JimBeam Posts: 22
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm trying to hold out for the PA Eggfest, before buying my large and accessories, but I have a question on the Egg Mates. How much weight can they support? Has anyone had food come crashing down after placing it on a shelf?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    The sides actually lock onto pins when raised. I would guess that they will easily hold 40-50 pounds.

The issue I had with them was the single screw connection that gave them a little lateral sliding ability. I fixed that with a little ingenuity and some extra metal screws.
  • dls2122
    dls2122 Posts: 66
    Options
    When I chose my egg I asked for the whole complete package. I am sorry I did. Wish I had gone with one of the nice tables. Hated the shelves and removed them. I didn't trust their stability and the cover kept getting caught on them and harder to get on and off. Decided to not deal with it and removed them. Others might disagree, but I think, for me personally, I made a mistake getting them.

Don
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Love the mates for my Large, and wish they were available for my small. They are quite sturdy. Not sure exact capacity but I do not hesitate to set a v-rack with two 9lb butts on it while I prep the grid. To me they do not hinder the vinyl cover at all. I will construct a table at some point, but for now I consider the mates as indespensible.
    BGE has come out with a new style of mates, constructed of plastic. They actually look pretty nice, are larger than the standard, and contoured on the ID to match the curvature of the egg. I would guess they give you about 30-40% more space than the standard. Not sure if they will work as well with the cover though.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Hi Ron. Has BGE actually started shipping the shelves to dealers? Mine have been on backorder from Fred's for about 2 months.

Have you tried the cherry for smoke yet btw?

Mark
  • Bacchus
    Options
    Hey WW, I dont know any factual details of the new mates. I saw them in person when I was at the Mothership about a month ago but didnt ask any questions.

I am going to let the cherry age a year I think.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    My large has always been in a next with mates. I love it that way.

I built a table for the medium which I liked. I am now wanting a nest for the medium and will convert the table to a full service table.

Once in a while AZRP post a picture of his eggs and a couple of service tables.

After haveing an egg in the table and on casters along with having multiple eggs I think I want my eggs in nests with a full service table and shelves on casters.

Anyway the mates on the large have held a lot of weight I would think fidel's estimates are correct. In a year of using the large I haven't had any instance where the mates seemed like they might fail.

GG
  • Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I purposely didn't buy the wooden mates with my two larges because I didn't like the way that similiar ones aged on my old Weber Genesis; black, greasy, unsavory looking stains over time with spills, etc. I have been really looking forward to the new plastic ones, but BGE is dragging their feet releasing them for some reason. Maybe they want to get rid of all the old wooden stock first? They should be much easier to maintain the appearance of than the wooden ones. Mark
  • JimBeam
    Options
    Is the new shelving material actually plastic or a solid surface material(corian)? I saw a photo of one here on the forum and it looked pretty nice.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC03698a.jpg

I know for sure that they are sturdy enough to hang my cast iron grate from. These grates weigh 12 pounds and notice it is on the last slat on the shelf. This would lead me to believe the shelf will support much more weight if it was centered on the shelf....
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye
    Options
    Don,

Care to sell them??
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    The new plastic (corian looking) Eggmates are in California. We have sold quite few with new Eggs in the past month.

Worth the wait.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Slick...

Been wondering where to put the CI Grid when I needed it off of the egg. May need to get another 'thirdhand'.

BTW did you ever finish that project you eluded to a while back.

Thanks, Kent
  • Bacchus
    Options
    They have a corian type appearance, but are a composite plastic.
  • JimBeam
    Options
    What is their heat resistance?
  • thirdeye
    Options
    I did. There is a preliminary photo on the TH page. I need to take an action photo of the real McCoy.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Not sure about that Jim, I'll let you do this testing and report back. :)

They are bigger in size, while still fitting under the basic cover. We are also waiting on the "center" shelf, we presently only carry the sideshelves.

I have also replaced old beat-up slat boards with stained and varnished cutting boards as side shelves.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Thanks. Are you selling it yet. So far I am getting hot knuckles.

For those of you who are wondering what the heck we are talking about.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/10/thirdhand-grate-lifting-hanging-tool.html

This is at the bottom of the page but the whole page is interesting. The Third Hand is used a lot around the GG eggs.

Kent
  • thirdeye
    Options
    A list is started, trying to get some out by the first of the month. I'll get a picture up.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    thirdeye,

Just sent an email your way.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• crawdad
    crawdad Posts: 115
    Options
    I just bought my large EGG Friday and they just got a shipment of the new shelves in. They cost more than the wooden ones too. It's looks like Corian, but it's plastic. I've put a shoot-load on them and they hold lots of stuff without groaning. IMG_0337.jpg