Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

More Wing Talk

Options
Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Picked up my first bag of wings, a 10 lb. bag ($8.99,Costco)
Tyson, Ice Glazed Chicken Wings, first and second section, all natural. Is this anything like most of you use??? I have never looked at wings before, I see they come all different ways, some have the flat parts, some do not, some flavored, etc.
Thanks,
New Bob

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    New Bob,
    I have bought them that way several times, under a different brand name, but the same flash frozen iced pieces. They are drums and flats and no tips in the bag. Wifey doesn't care for hot wings so I just open the bag and pull out and cook 18 at a time for me. They keep well in the freezer.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Bordello
    Options
    RRP,
    Thanks, is this what I should be looking for or a different cut? I did not know they came in different ways. I even saw some fresh, they were the complete wing. I was not sure what I should buy being as I have no eggsperience here.
    New Bob

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    New Bob,[p]You bought the right stuff. Have fun with them.[p]I bought a 10# bag @ Sam's tonight - same price. However, at the risk of being chastised, I will deep fry the wings tomorrow. The Eggs will be doing good deeds with brats, burgers and corn at the same time.[p]Puj

• Bordello
    Options
    Puj,
    Thanks, All I can say is enjoy your wings however you like them cooked. I realize you may get some ribbing but it will all be in fun. (I HOPE) ÖÖÖ
    A great weekend to ya,
    New Bob

• JodyMo
    Options
    New Bob,
    I have eaten a lot of wings- frozen and fresh.
    The main difference I have seen is that wings that have been frozen seem to have real dark meat (almost purple) around the bone. Not a bad flavor, but not very pretty either! In my opinion, the "drumette" section is the best, but hey, I like it all. When you can get drumettes on sale, try 'em -there is very little waste. But what you have will be fine, and I hope you enjoy them!
    JodyMo

[ul][li]Lord of the Wings[/ul]
  • Bordello
    Options
    JodyMo,
    Thanks for the information and the link. When you say drumette, is that part of the wing??? As you can see, I don't know much about wings.
    New Bob

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    New Bob,[p]A wing is made up of three separate pieces. From the body of the bird out to the end of the wing you have the drumette (single bone piece), the flat (double bone piece), and the tip. As the tip has no meat in it, only the drumette and the flat are eaten.[p]Spin
  • Freak
    Freak Posts: 79
    Options
    New Bob,[p]IMO, fresh whole wings are the way to go. I count on a sharp knife and a extra few minutes to get them ready. I have tried the frozen wings - they're usually ok.[p]I learned my tricks back in Buffalo, NY and am working on a competition recipe now. I have won for fried wings, but now I'm going to try an entry using the BGE.[p]-Tom
  • Toe 49
    Toe 49 Posts: 193
    Options
    New Bob,
    I only do frozen wing in the oven for the rare time I have guests I really do not care for. [p]On the BGE and any other time if the oven is the only option, I always buy fresh whole wings. I take my cooking scissors and cut the "wing" part of the wing off, then separate the remaining sections at the joint. [p]Here I go two different directions. If I have time, I'll toss them in a big freezer bag and marinade them (options are endless). [p]If I want them sooner, I'll start some water boiling before I start cutting them up, boil the wings for 15-20 minutes. Strain, pat dry and coat with olive oil, then sprinkle with seasoning of choice. I like "wa wa" seasoning as well as McCormick’s Caribbean Jerk, or Montreal Garlic Chicken....[p]Man, I could go on, but I will not......off to grab some wings from the fridge!!

• Toe 49
    Toe 49 Posts: 193
    Options
    Toe 49,
    Oh.....toss out the "wing" section of the wings......did I really need to say that?