Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Backpack Ribs

Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yeeeeee Ha!! I am all geared up for my upcoming 4-day backpacking trip. When we ate Cat's ribs the other night, we had about 1/2 slab left. I vacuum sealed them, and froze them. When we go backpacking, I will carry this while it is thawing, chuck it in some boiling water at camp, and VOILA!! First time ever eating ribs in the backcountry.[p]Sorry, I couldn't contain my enthusiasm and had to tell y'all.[p]Happy Monday
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Nature Boy,
    That does it NB,i'm going to Sam's at lunch and buy a Foodsaver,they have them in a kit for $149.95,is that a good price.I made 7lb.of jerky last week and i could use it to bag it up.
    YB

• Nature Boy
    YB,
    I paid 175 at costco for the Ultra.
    It is a pretty cool toy...er..I mean, tool.[p]Ribs in the wilderness.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Nature Boy,
    I'm going today.
    Thanks
    YB

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Nature Boy,[p]Isn't is going to rain today?? You outdoor guys are tough and rain doesn't bother you. Have fun!! Cold ribs -- you are tough. Call me woossey I guess.[p]Tim
  • Nature Boy
    Tim M,
    We aren't going today. But rain/snow is really not a problem. Part of being out there. We are equipped. Expedition tents, 15 down sleeping bags, gortex raingear, down coats, cozy sleeping pads, and camp chairs, walkman with speakers and tapes (for occasional party use), water filters, and numerous fermented beverages...cognac, bourbon, tequila, and a couple oil cans of Fosters. And what not.[p]The ribs will be steaming hot. Boiled in the vacuum bag.
    Fireplace Hearth Pita Pizza to follow. Margaritas (with snow if there is any left up there). We live extremely comfortably on these trips. Always warm. Always dry. Always happy. Always full. [p]We will also be hiking down to a native trout stream, and doing a bit of fishin! A couple nice trout, camp stove, non-stick pan, butter and seasonings and we are ready to attract some bears!!![p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Sorry I wrote:[p]Expedition tents, 15 down sleeping bags...[p]I meant down bags rated to -15 degrees!!
    Ooops.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Nature Boy,
    heeeeeeee! That sure sounds like fun! And of course left ovah BGE food is a MUST to bring in da' sticks.
    Those "vacuum bags" that u speak of sound interesting. In my days of "camping" with the Army {cough} Reserves we used a similar "bag system" to heat our MRE's...just open the bag...but the MRE air tight main meal in the bag with a little water on the bottom of the bag for the chemical reaction for heat, and elevate so the water doesnt pour out...then wa la..a nice hot meal. I also learned in a detonation class that the same bag can be used for a bomb...that is fill a glass bottle with water and put the bag in and close da' lid..so if ur interested in getting some fresh game while out there...that is one way u can get one! Heeeee!
    ST

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Nature Boy,
    And you were so worried, you'd shot "a-pig-in-a-poke" and it'd be just another "toy"! Betcha you're grinnin' now![p]Dr. Chicken

• Teslamania
    Teslamania Posts: 144
    Nature Boy,[p]Where are you going? Not Dolly Sods again? Be safe and have a great trip. Are you gonna seal some bread too? Don't forget to seal some dry clothes!

• Nature Boy
    Teslamania,
    A little place right on the Virginia/West Virginia border. In George Washington National Forest. Basically we will be at extreme headwaters of the Potomac River. It is up on the Allegheny Plateau...the birthplace of rivers. Actually we will be about 1/2 mile from the divide that separates rivers flowing to the Gulf, and to the Atlantic. Remote and spectacular. Similar to Dolly Sods in some ways (including altitude). Fairly open valleys with meadows and beaver ponds. Red spruce trees, birch, sugar maples (very Northern trees). It is wild seeing the transformations those little beavers can make on a little valley. I have visited that particular area maybe 10 times, and have never seen another person.[p]We plan on following the small headwater streams down to one of the main streams, where there is a healthy native trout population. Basically 4 days of forced relaxation, and absence of phone calls and computers.[p]Sorry for the long-winded-off-topic answer to your question!!
    As you can tell, I am a bit psyched. Especially now that I can bring along a bit of egged food to help with the withdrawals.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Teslamania
    Teslamania Posts: 144
    Nature Boy,[p]Sounds nice. Have a great and safe trip. There was an article in the Post a while back about going to the head waters of the Potomac - traced it back to a spring.

• Nature Boy
    Teslamania,
    The Upper Potomac has several forks. The North Fork of the South Branch of the Potomac River starts where we will be.[p]I wonder which fork they used in that Post article??[p]Thanks
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Nature Boy,[p]You should vacum pack some squid, in case you want to go fishing. :-) [p]Have a great trip!
  • Nature Boy, jump into the one that comes to the Gulf and I will go out in the boat and pick you up when you get here. Save the ribs,, I want to try them. Holler when you get into Mobile on the river and I will send the Fireboat out to get you.. Have a great time.

• Nature Boy
    King-O-Coals,
    Thanks. Isn't that wild to think about that river, or creek at that point (or trickle) ultimately finds its way down near you. I'll be lookin for the boat. What color is your flag, so I don't get it mixed up with other boats??

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy, it has a black background,, Dr. Chickens face with 2 crossed thigh bones. Where is he today anyway? Have a ball my-man!