Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

How many briskets on a large BGE?

Sgt PepperSgt Pepper Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing brisket for 50 people this weekend. I've cooked two 10 pounders double decker style using an extender grill. What's the most anybody has ever cooked at one time & how was it configured?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.
·

Comments

• Fireball IIFireball II Posts: 213
    What is the make up of the people you are serving. Men Women, Children?
    ·
  • civil eggineercivil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    I would think two 12 lb packers cut briskets would be about enough for 50 people.
    ·
  • Sgt PepperSgt Pepper Posts: 11
    I figured two 12 pounders will be close to enough & if that's all I can do at once, then that's what it'll be.

I guess I'm trying to find out the maximum amount of brisket you can cook at one time on a large and how to do the setup.

Any help from the experts will be greaty appreciated.
    ·
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
    I've never done more than 2, but 3 could be done if you have 3 grids. I guess technically 4 could be done with 4 grids.

You could always stack them on edge instead of flat - use some skewers to keep them spaced and upright - and allow some extra cook time.

I don't think two 12 pounders is enough for 50 people myself unless you have quite a few sides.
    ·
  • TuckTuck Posts: 54
    Assuming 24lbs of brisket will lose 40% weight, that will be enough for 57 people to each have 4oz of meat.

Will 4oz per person be enough?
    ·
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
    Not if it's good!
    ·
  • Fidel wrote:
    Not if it's good!

Ding ding! Give that man a cigar.

Scott
    ·
  • BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    I wonder...

Some of the brisket flats at my local grocer are pretty small. I wonder if you could wedge them into a rib rack and do about 6 at a time............
    ·