Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Labor Day Weekend "BBQ Stand"

gthom
gthom Posts: 36
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good Morning All.

There is a Biker Rally coming up on Labor Day that a friend of mine's parents put on. It is right down the road from my parent's house.

We were talking about getting a vendor booth and selling plates, but we really aren't interested in being around all of the nonsense that goes on there. So, we decided to set up by the road and sell from the yard. The bikers drive by all day and all night (they don't just stay at the ralley). We figured that the smell would draw them in like flies to honey. Since its out in the country, there's no close place to get a good meal. There are some food vendors set up inside the campground, but I can imagine that they charge $5.00 for a crappy burger. We will have picnic tables for them to set at and eat.

Menu Item #1 - Pulled Pork Sandwiches

Depending on the number of people who stop, we could need a LOT of pulled pork. I have vacuum sealed, frozen, and reheated it with success. My plan would be to smoke about 8 butts ahead of time and freeze them. If we start selling a bunch the first day, then we would naturally keep smoking them throughout the weekend. I've also had pretty good success with the fast cook butt (approx. 5 hours cook time). Since most of these guys are going to load it down with bbq sauce anyway, I don't think I have to have competition quality long and slow cooks. Any thoughts on this stategy?

Menu Item #2 - Brisket

Plan on doing our famous garlic stuffed brisket. These will likely be finished in the oven (gasp!!!) because they're fool proof. I will probably smoke them in the egg for 4-5 hours and turn them over to the oven for finishing. The only way this will change is if we don't have something else that has to go in the egg. We each have a Large, so committing both of them to 2 briskets apiece for 18-24 hours could kill us. Brisket will be served 2 ways: sliced and chopped for sandwiches.

Menu Item #3 - Sausage

There's a local slaughterhouse that makes AWESOME old timey sausage. Best sausage I've ever found.

Menut Item #4 - Spatchcock Chicken

I'll probably sell it 1/2 and whole.

Menu Item #5

Ribs. 3-1-1 CWM method......here's where having briskets taking up the entire egg hurts. The other concern is that ribs that don't get bought are expensive waste (although we would just eat them, so they really aren't waste)....but from a profit standpoint they are.

Menu Item #6 - Pita Pizzas?

Still trying to convince my wife that this is a good idea and a quick "in front of the customer" cook. I would either try the pita bread as the dough, or make up some dough and portion it into small personal pan size. Most likely, I would sell brisket, pulled pork, cheese, and sausage pizzas (or any combination of those). Maybe some peperroni.

Menu Item #7 - Bologna (Poor Man's Sandwich)

I'd have to think this would be a hit with bikers. After seeing some pics that you guys have posted recently of the whole smoked bologna, I've been craving it.

Breakfast

We might do a breakfast menu, too. Still researching.

My wife is concerned that this is too many things. While it would be nice to just do pulled pork, I'm thinking that people wouldn't keep coming back for the same thing over and over.

I was also thinking that this would be a good excuse for me to buy a Mini. Quick dome temps and the right size for doing something like hamburgers, small pizzas, and steaks on demand.

Sides - We will definitely have baked beans, but having trouble deciding on a 2nd side. Baked potatoes would be easy, but I'm getting resistance from everyone else.

My last question is how do I keep things like the chicken, sausage, and ribs hot. People are likely going to be stopping by for lunch/dinner food from 10am - 9pm. Do I keep one of my larges at 175-200 dome on indirect and keep them in there until they are ready for serving? If so, now, I'm down to 1 large. If this goes well, I'm going to make a competition trailer next year (Memorial Day) and load it out with 2 XL, 3 Large, a Small, and a Mini.

Any thoughts, suggestions, criticims, smart a$$ remarks, or help will be much appreciated.

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    first things first make sure you have enough insurance!!! hate for someone to get sick and try to sue you :(

the wife sounds right to me this sounds like alot of food.. how many bikers are going to be there? where is this event at.. you might have a egger or two areound you that might be willing to come help you out ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Nice idea, but have you checked on the local ordinances concerning the selling of food? Eg, you might need a permit and/or helath certificate. Also, there's the liability issue if someone becomes ill, even if it isn't directly your fault. Just a few things to think about before you jump in....
  • gthom
    Roughly 3,000 - 5,000 people will be attending

It is in rural South Mississippi. We discussed the permit a little bit. The churches around here sell fish plates, bbq plates, smoked/fried turkeys, etc. all the time. We will probably try to get one just to be safe.....It would suck to get shut down in the middle of the weekend. If we were "onsite" in the campground, I doubt we'd need one. Cops, etc. don't come in.

I'd love to have more eggers helping, but this is a Dave Ramsey get me out of stupid debt fundraiser!
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    sorry hate that it is so far away from me

if you want here is a link to a really good sauce that i usually use... it is real easy and easily multiplied {sp} to accomodate more people

http://www.eggheadforum.com/archives//2001/messages/70392.htm

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Rascal
    The formalities, permits, insurance and all are not so much to keep you from getting shut down during the event as they are to protect your assets afterwards...
  • Hitch
    Hitch Posts: 402
    Are you doing this for fun, or just trying to make money?

Decide this first and go from there.

If it were me, and I was just trying to have a great time/ show off my skills/ brag on the egg, I would set myself apart and not sell stuff, but offer it for free with a donation cup. I would check all ordinaces, but don't let a church be your guide. They get by with a lot of stuff cause of who they are.

Sounds like it could be a great day if it is low key and not bottom line driven. I would be crankin out the BBQ over the days prior, and use the day of for ABT's, wings, takitos :unsure:, and other small but quick items.

Does the biker community want more healthy food generally? Might want to try to do some beer can chickens as well.

Random thoughts...sorry
  • HolySmokes
    HolySmokes Posts: 446
    I think your wife has it right. Unless you have unlimited eggs and lots of competent people, you're going to be strapped.

I think with your intended buyers, you could do pulled pork, brisket, ribs and then maybe sausages or chicken (sausages would take alot less room), and some premade sides like coleslaw, and have more than needed as a menu for this type of venue.

What your planning sounds more appropriate for your competition trailer size.

best luck, wish I was closer!
    HS.
  • gthom
    Ah....found some good information from the State Dept. of Health.

Who needs a food permit?

If you serve food for pay you are required by state law to have a food permit. Charitable, non-profit organizations and private schools are not required to have a food permit.

Sounds like i need to set up a non-profit organization....
  • Rascal
    Free, but with a very LARGE donation cup (like a barrel)! Dress down and get some kids to help out..
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Back in the day the 500 allowed for street parking before the race started my dad had a small meat market on the main drag. We would make pulled pork and pulled beef BBQ sandwiches. I would put the meat in a table top sunbeam cooker like is still for sale and add kraft BBQ sauce and water to the flesh.

We could add the sauce and water as the day and sale wore on and we almost had what we started out with, The meat would swell and suck up the moisture and sauce. Serve in a kantleak tray on a bun and they loved it.

Not what you would do for the special meal but can do to serve the masses and they are happy.

Keep the menu simple one or two items and that is it.

E
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    but you are for profit. Go the permit route. Have insurance - at a minimum a personal umbrella liability.

I have been to quite a few biker rallies and runs. My opinion, pulled pork, sausages, bbq beans and slaw or potato salad are all you need. Anything else is overkill in my opinion. Serve it on sectioned paper plates. Give a choice of meat and one scoop each of the sides.

If you really want to draw them in have beer.
  • dls2122
    dls2122 Posts: 66
    Non-profit kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it? Although you could call it a Shelter for Starving Bikers! How about 1st annual EGG tasting benefit (benefiting you of course).

Sorry, just random smart a$$ remarks - as requested
  • Fidel
    Oh, and don't forget giving Uncle Sam and the great State of Mississippi their share.

Form an LLC to avoid self employment tax and to shield any assets from potential liabilties.
  • gthom
    but I'm "not for profit" if i use the proceeds to buy my competition trailer which is equipment for my non-profit :)

then, i can go to competitions and use my "profits" for the entry fees....all while promoting my cause (undecided on what that will be)....

like most small businesses, I'm sure this will "lose" money or at best, break even :whistle:
  • Fidel
    As it should be, but so you know, the IRS views any business as a hobby if it fails to turn a profit 2 out of every 5 years.

The profit margins are of course, all up to you and your creativity. An LLC really is the best course of action.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    if you go with a vinegar base coleslaw and not mayo it will be less of an issue. baked beans and slaw and then 3 choices of meat, pulled, chicken or sausage. keep it simple. if it goes over and you are very busy you will be glad there is only things. and get the permit and insurance. just a rider to cover for just the one event is not a lot of money. especially if anything should happen. and stuff happens. The slaw we do at the studio for events is a killer and we alway have people asking for the recipie. 1 big bag of slaw mix from Sam's, dried cranberries, chopped walnuts, chopped apples, a shake of cinnamon and 1/2 bottle of the vadelia onion dressing you get at Sam's. Makes a lot and goes along ways. you can cheat on the beans and buy the big cans and DR. them up.
  • HolySmokes
    HolySmokes Posts: 446
    ...and you're truly not a non-profit unless you register in your state as a non-profit (they get your fees either way, sigh). Still a business, and still have to keep books.
    HS
  • Fidel wrote:
    but you are for profit. Go the permit route. Have insurance - at a minimum a personal umbrella liability.

I have been to quite a few biker rallies and runs. My opinion, pulled pork, sausages, bbq beans and slaw or potato salad are all you need. Anything else is overkill in my opinion. Serve it on sectioned paper plates. Give a choice of meat and one scoop each of the sides.

If you really want to draw them in have beer.

No offense, but I disagree - DON'T have beer. You want to talk about liability...plus you don't have a liquor license, etc. At least in MN, this is a big deal.

I echo others thoughts - make sure you are covered from a liability standpoint before you take on this type of idea. There are many pitfalls - make sure you're covered. Would be a bummer to have a "fun day" turn into a "empty out your 401K and sell the house to pay off the settlement" day.

Good luck with your choices!

Scott
  • Fidel
    The beer part was tongue in cheek. Bikers love beer.

Hopefully no one would do that without the proper license and permits required in their local jurisdiction.
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Even forgetting about the food aspect....

You are going to have people on your property. make sure you get a rider. If someone trips and falls you could be putting your assets at risk....

You might be better off seeing what it would take to get into the campground....

I've done a stand. MA requires you to have a "ServSafe" certified person. I took the class. One day and a test. A monkey could pass it. They generally also require an insurance policy. The policy of the group running the event covered us.
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    How many eggs do you have currently?

What do you have to keep the meat above 140 degrees when cooked and to keep it moist?

Some states have more specific laws on mobile food vendors which is what you will be considered.

Maybe I missed it, but what do you expect to charge for this?
  • gthom
    We currently have 2 large eggs.

I was planning on either keeping the food in the oven or in one of the eggs (at as low temp as possible).

We figured we would charge about $6-8 per pulled pork/brisket plate. More for the ribs.

Maybe we would be better off at the site for liability reasons.
  • sorry about that Fidel - didn't get the tongue in cheek part - do now.

Scott
  • Confused With Socially Unacceptable) Liability can be a big issue. What if while on your property it becomes a full fledged "Stab-A-Palooza" ?
  • gthom
    Thanks for all the insight and comments. It seemed like a really easy idea at the time.......not so sure now. I'm almost convinced to do it inside the gates for my own protection now. Now I need to scour ebay for some cheap commercial equipment to keep the food hot so I don't keep an egg tied up with that.

GTHOM