Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Calzones Saturday Night

Options
Mike Oelrich
Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had some friends over on Saturday night and decided to try something different. Since my new BGE plate setter wasn't even dirty yet, I decided to try the calzone thing. Used a dough recipe from Nick Malgione's book "How to Bake" and did the kneading in my KitchenAid. Got sprinter's filling recipe off the BGE recipe page and did a little tinkering -- roasted some red peppers and chopped them up, added some cayenne, added a bunch of fresh basil, etc. Preheated the BGE to 500F with the plate setter installed and a 17" octagonal kiln shelf on top for a pizza stone (I've had some bad luck lately with the store bought cheapie stones (they keep breaking in half when the flames hit them!)). Chucked the 'zones in there and let 'em cook for about 20-25 minutes. Served with with asparagus in roasted yellow pepper sauce Awesome! Thanks for the idea sprinter![p] BTW, my new digicam finally arrived on Friday (got an unbelievable deal onlinethrough a somewhat contorted process of coupon code shuffling, then had to sweat it out while I waited to see if I actually got what I was promised -- I did!) and I got some pictures. Hopefully I'll be able to get in touch with my ISP soon to get some space set aside.[p]MikeO

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    MikeO,[p]They sound good - I love doing them on the Egg but have found the best results are when you saute the filling a little first.
    Looking forward to the pics. If you need an FTP program - go here to get WS_FTP -- its a standard for ftp.[p]www.ipswitch.com[p]Tim

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Tim M,[p] I browned a couple pounds of Italian sausage, then sauteed some onions and garlic. I put the sausage back in the still warm pan with the onions and stirred in the cheeses, peppers, etc. So, the mixture was still a bit warmer than room temperature when it went into the dough. The insides were plenty hot when I took them off the BGE. Thanks for the link.[p]MikeO
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    MikeO,[p]Glad you enjoyed them Mike, they are a BIG hit at my house also. Thanks for the kind words.[p]Troy