Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Looking forward to a delicious Christmas dinner? Keep our Holiday Entertaining Publication handy throughout December for all your holiday dinner needs. But you can also find some of our favorites on our Country Christmas page, including Christmas Ham and Peach Cobbler. Happy cooking!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Boston Butt - First attempt

dls2122dls2122 Posts: 66
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought my EGG (1st) just before the 4th of July and all my cooks (many) have gone really well, but each time I've tried something new I have been more curious about how they'd turn out than nervous. I have to admit - I was very nervous before making this Butt. When do I put it on - 200 - 225 - 250? What do I do if it's not done or done too early? A lot of postings on this forum kind of put me in the right direction, but I was still very nervous. So - got up at 3:30 to start the egg at 4 to put hte butt on at 5AM wanting to eat around 5:30PM (figured 12 hours for a 7 1/2 pounder). Plugged in a remote thermometer and started pacing. I've never watched temps close before and was suprised (horrified) at how quick the meat went to 150. I don't want this for LUNCH! But then everything slowed down. I hit 200 at 3:15 and used the trick of wrapping it in foil and plaing in a towel lined cooler for a couple hours (that I picked up here - thanks). At 5:15 took it out - it was still steaming. Are you kidding me?

Turned out this was my favorite cook yet. I was hoping to get 2 meals out of this butt. Didn't happen. 1 meal and a snack. Thank you to everyone on the forum who's advise I used and all the interesting reading whose advice I haven't had a chance to use yet.

Don

Comments