Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Boston Butt - First attempt

dls2122dls2122 Posts: 66
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought my EGG (1st) just before the 4th of July and all my cooks (many) have gone really well, but each time I've tried something new I have been more curious about how they'd turn out than nervous. I have to admit - I was very nervous before making this Butt. When do I put it on - 200 - 225 - 250? What do I do if it's not done or done too early? A lot of postings on this forum kind of put me in the right direction, but I was still very nervous. So - got up at 3:30 to start the egg at 4 to put hte butt on at 5AM wanting to eat around 5:30PM (figured 12 hours for a 7 1/2 pounder). Plugged in a remote thermometer and started pacing. I've never watched temps close before and was suprised (horrified) at how quick the meat went to 150. I don't want this for LUNCH! But then everything slowed down. I hit 200 at 3:15 and used the trick of wrapping it in foil and plaing in a towel lined cooler for a couple hours (that I picked up here - thanks). At 5:15 took it out - it was still steaming. Are you kidding me?

Turned out this was my favorite cook yet. I was hoping to get 2 meals out of this butt. Didn't happen. 1 meal and a snack. Thank you to everyone on the forum who's advise I used and all the interesting reading whose advice I haven't had a chance to use yet.

Don

Comments