Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

way OT: Bees

Smokin' Todd
Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all,
Bees have recently built a home between those 2 pipes, and I already been stung twice trying to mow that area.
Anyone know how I can safely get rid of that hive?
Thanx folks.
ST
bees.jpg

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Yo Todd. Yellow jackets?
    Watch closely during the day to see the actual hole the bees are entering. Then wait until dark, and take a fresh can of bee killer spray, and spray a good steady stream of it straight into the hole.
    Good luck mang!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    yes they are Yellow Jackets,and saw a few enter in a specific area- the one that stung me yesterday actually laid dead at the opening- guess he just couldnt make it to the infirmary:)
    Thanx for the info. i was hoping I wouldnt have to take further measures other then just spray.
    ST
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Be careful. Bees kill people here in Texas.

Spring "To Bee Or Not To Bee" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    With yellow jackets, as well as other stinging insects, when they get crushed or clobbered they release a phermone that attracts additional YJs. Be very cautious as you approach their hole. They can feel the vibration and come after you. Carry two cans of wasp killer with knock down and wear enough cloths to cover your self up. We used to use gasoline on them, but today being green, and the fact that you'd have take out a small loan to buy some gas, I'd stick with the wasp killer.
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    I effing HATE yellow jackets!

Wonder what would happen if you dropped an upside down bucket or can over it with a rock on top? They'd probably find another way, and it would complicate mowing for a while. Still, I wonder...
  • dls2122
    dls2122 Posts: 66
    I had a hive over a cul-de-sac and under my driveway a couple years ago. I tried everything but couldn't kill the hive - I even tried the spray foam insulation stuff to seal them in. They just ate their way out. If the spray doesn't reach the whole hive, you can't kill the whole hive and the guards up front just replace themselves as they die. My final solution was to spray the hive to kill the guards tehn take my root feeder (long metal spike at the end of a hose to deep feed trees)shoved it in the opening turned it on an ran. Left it on for about 5 mins. Did the trick. Between the force destroying the hive - the water drowned what the spray couldn't get to.

Don
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    I usually go out at night with a jug of something flamable (like gas or kerosene), pour it down the hole and toss a match to it. Keep an eye out for a day or to as some of those nests can be rather deep. A few times I've had to follow up with a second, heavier dose.
  • Big Easy Egg
    Big Easy Egg Posts: 191
    Give this guy a call, he is a great pest control expert 504-889-7071. He can send you something toot sweet.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    sometimes the nest is bigger than it appears to be, i fell in one up to my knee once, i cant tell you how many bites i had, maybe a couple hundred or more. yellow jacket stings dont really even bother me anymore. i seem to get bit more than most, i dont think ive ever made it a whole year without a bite, spray the hive, spray it again tomorrow, drown anything left as was mentioned.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Todd,

I sent an email, but others have touched on it here, so I'll post what I wrote.

Pour a cup or two gasoline or kerosene in the hole. No need to light it. They drop dead immediately.

If you are too close to flammable structures you can pour a 50:50 bleach solution in the hole. You can also spray them with WD-40. The oil makes it impossible for them to fly.

Do this early in the morning or late in the evening. They are sluggish at cooler temps and you are more likely to get most of them at those times.
  • AuntieEgger
    AuntieEgger Posts: 258
    WoW not a good situation!!! We have had a lot of experience of having to get rid of hornets/wasps and I agree with Nature Boy ‘wait till dark’ when all the clan is in the nest ,, get geared up with head netting and protective baggy clothing. Keep everyone including animals out of the area.
    Looking at the pic I would also have a tarp or garbage bag to put over the area so the wasps can’t fly out when you spray and the spray stays in there. Wasps don’t usually fly at night but if something is disturbing the nest they will fly up out of there and attack.
    If the canned spray does not work (the nest may be too deep in the ground) you may have to get a fogger or if there is someone you know that has one maybe you can borrow it for the job as you can get the fogger killer spray for the wasps.

Good luck
    AuntieEgger
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    that's boring. in vermont we'd pour kerosene down there and torch it up.

same for a stump. drill holres and soak it with kerosene, come back, soak it some more.

sometimes you get 'lucky' and the stump and roots extend way over to a house or something, and the house catches fire too. but most often, it's just a stump fire.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I feel your pain, literally. I was stung 10 times last Mon-Tues. Guess I just didnt get enough the first day. 3 of the stings were so painful that I couldnt sleep that night. Unfortunately I can't seem to find the nest as I think it is concealed by Kudzu.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    maybe get those bees out of the pipe railings that lead down to the house with the weedburner. actually i think you can just try soapy water and soak the ground, maybe something biodegradable.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Who owns the pipes? They may have a team that'll take care of it.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    OK, how about a bottle of 151 proof rum and a match? Talk about bio-friendly!! 8 - )
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Very cool, Rod.

I will keep that in mind when trying to get rid of Bees.

Does this work for Carpenter Bees as well??

Greg
  • Everytime I have ever sprayed a wasp nest I kill half of them and the rest chase me. My dad showed me how to mix up dishwashing liquid and water and douse the nest. If you take your time and aim correctly you hit them all at once. No running involved. As for your situation, I would mix dishwashing liquid and water in a 5 gallon bucket and pour it all in the hole. I may even put a screen over the hole before you start. Good luck on whatever approach you choose.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I've never used anything on carpenter bees other than a flyswatter. They aren't much of a nuisance to me.
  • This is a expensive alternative these days, but we used to poor a liberal amount of gas on the area and put a garbage can lid over the area. Leave it there for 24 hours and you should knock 'em out. Good luck!