Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jeff Varasano's Pizza recipe.

blown 87
blown 87 Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have tried doing this a few times and I think I am getting there.
Has anybody else tried this, or any other high temp pizza recipes?

Link,

http://slice.seriouseats.com/jvpizza/

Greg :)

Comments

• OzarkQ
    OzarkQ Posts: 150
    Not yet - but someone should donate an egg to see how good it can get! Are you using a starter or idy?

Geoff
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Wow, that's heavy duty for sure! Do you have a special scale to measure your ingredients?
  • I have found Jeff’s pages to be very inspiring. I just made my dough: It’s high hydration, autolesed(sp) and I will give it a three day ferment in the fridge. I do use IDY not a starter.
    I’m cooking at about 700 degrees. I’ve had problems keeping a higher temp with a platesetter.
    There is a poster named fishlessman that has made a very interesting modification for high temps. You can search his posts, you will be wowed.
    There are a lot of folks who don’t know what a NY of VPN pizza is. I’m glad to see another fan. Keep us updated with your progress.
    TTFN WLL
  • blown 87
    blown 87 Posts: 50
    Right now I am using IDY, I think I am getting to much gas in my dough (to big of gas bubbles).
    I have a digital scale that I got for cutting my dough up, but not for measuring my ingredients (fixings, for all my southern brothers and sisters, :laugh: who I love so dearly.)

I plan to get some sourdough starter and go from there.
    I have been making pizza in the oven for a long time and this is my first year into high temp cooks.

I do know that you need fresh dry lump to get to high temps.

Pictures coming soon.

Gregor :P
  • OzarkQ
    You might want to get your dough in the fridge faster to prevent over-gassing... might work.. or use a little less IDY. Air bubbles aren't that bad though. I think starting with IDY is a good idea and once your technique is down, then try a starter... there's going to be some trial and error!! I'll sit on the sidelines and watch what y'all figure out! Definately fresh lump. Lump that's been egg-sitting in the muggy weather here can make some very hair singeing experiences.
    Geoff
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    i just use a standard dough from the grocery store, the trick for me was to get the temperature zone above the stone much higher than the stone temp. ive had dome temps higher than 1100 degrees with a blue fireball hovering ABOVE the pizza with a cook of 54 seconds as the rcord for the pizza. makes for a very unique crust. be careful, high temp cooks like this will expand the bands and cause the dome to slip out and crash to the ground, you try and catch it and your in for some severe burns. charwoody on the primo forum came up with a clip idea, i havent modified for that yet but will someday, you want those clips, ping him for a pic on their forum, im sure he will respond. i also set my stone in a tank head filled with sand to help keep the heat of the stone itself, this tank head also redirects and curls that blue flame over the top of the pizza. i had to change the lump grate out to inconel as ive pretty much melted all the other grates, and the springs take on too much heat and weaken over time.no gasket works, even the rutland has some problems but its the only one ive seen that holds up, curious about the nomex but have no real experienc with them, i dont see the glue holding up at long 900 to 1100 plus extended cooks . i like the crust springy yet chewy with some charred spots which i get even with store bought dough at these temps. i have his recipe and even bought the scale to measure out ingrediants, just havent taken that step yet.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Greg, thank you for the great pizza link!
    There is enough info there to keep anyone busy for days.

And I thought I made good pizza! LOL

Mitch's Oh Yeah!
  • OzarkQ
    After seeing the post yesterday about pizzas - here's my go. After reading about blowing out gaskets and such, I decided to use the grid extender and then put the stone on there. I think it was a little too hot through, and the bottoms burned a bit before cooking the tops. I was thinking using the platesetter might cause more trouble for the gasket. Sure cleans the walls of the egg through cooking at 750' for an hour or so.

I didn't have my starter going, so I used some active dry yeast instead, and used the calculator, here which is highly recommended! I messed up a bit by having the dough too wet, and it was a bugger to work with. Here's my results:

Hot BGE? How's this for hot & scary? :evil:
    I stuck the foil under there to hopefully prevent the cart from going up. And that's with the feet and the gap too!!!

BGEPizza003.jpg

Bad shape because not enough flour in dough and on peel:

BGEPizza005.jpg

Cooking...

BGEPizza007.jpg

Done!

BGEPizza008.jpg

This one looked better...

BGEPizza010.jpg

Yummy!
  • OzarkQ