Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ sauce favorites

Salty Dog
Salty Dog Posts: 89
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've tried Blues Hog based on a recommendation in the forum, and I really like it. But variety is the spice of life, right? What are some other "favorites" that the eggsperts like?

Comments

• DynaGreaseball
    DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    I have yet to order some Blues Hog. On ribs, so far, my favorite bbq sauce is Sweet Baby Rays, mixed with 1/3 clover honey.

But, with all that I've heard, Blues Hog may become number one, if I ever get around to ordering some.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    I'll second the SBR's Original. Probably the best mass-market BBQ sauce out there, IMHO.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    i like open pit as a comercial sauce it is a little spicy as compared to other comercially availible sauces...

but i usually make my own here is the link to the recepie

http://www.eggheadforum.com/archives//2001/messages/70392.htm

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I too like Blue's but what I like even better is this homemade one - and it is gooooood!!!

J.K's Wild Boar Soul BBQ Sauce Recipe.
    Yes, we have (all sorts of) real BBQ in Seattle. An eclectic mix of folks from lots of different places. In the 80's there was a tiny place up on Cherry St (!), called J.K's Wild Boar Soul BBQ. You had to watch out for the needles on the sidewalk, dark little room with years of smoke on it, you'd order a pile of meat, and get a side of incredible beans, and 2 slices of white bread wrapped in foil. And change for the pop machine if you needed it. The proprietors name was Beal, I believe. As I recall, a retired navy cook and utter BBQ maestro. His sauce was spectacular, and he's also use that sauce as a base for his beans.
    When Beal quit in the mid 80's, I thought my life was over. There was no other BBQ that even came close here. And it was the sauce that shone.
    So the other night, I'm at a guy's house, downing marguerites and sampling various hot sauces, and he says "Try this!" I immediately knew what it was..... Beals sauce! Amazing. This guy had eaten at the wild boar every week for years. He and his wife would bring in their attempts to duplicate the sauce, and after months of trying, Mr. Beal took pity on them and finally gave them his recipe.
    You should REALLY REALLY REALLY try this. I believe that it's an inspired compendium of common ingredients, whose sum is infinitely greater than its individual components.
    This is a "1/2" recipe, and makes 2 quarts.
    Mix in big pot over low heat
    1/6 cup salt
    2 cups sugar
    1/2 heaping cup packed brown sugar
    1 cup beef bouillon strong
    6 Cups H20
    When sugars dissolve, add
    1 cup yellow mustard
    1/2 cup white vinegar
    1/2 cup Wrights liquid smoke. Yes, that's right!
    1 Cup Worcestershire
    3 6 oz cans tomato paste
    2 TBS Kitchen Bouquet to darken
    Chili Powder (the real thing), cayenne, Daves, whatever to add heat. Hatch ground chile is my favorite. I might try adding baby schezuan peppers or chili pequins next time. I also like to make a not too hot sauce, and serve with lots of sliced fresh jalapeno. (RRP here…I just use 1 tea of chipotle and 2 TBS of chili powder)
    Simmer bubbling slowly for 2 hours.... will reduce by 1/3 and darken.
    This would even be good on vanilla ice cream!
    Mike Flaherty

RRP here…I have been making this as our house sauce for 6 years now and we just love it. I have found that it will freeze nicely though it will never be rock hard, So rather than to try to further cut this recipe in half just trust me that you’ll like it, but if not you’ll find friends who do. I always give a bottle of it to an elderly neighbor couple who call it “Ron’s Sassy Sauce”.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Haven't had the chance to try these yet but think they might become a favorite. Thanks to Big'un for sending them.

101_2139.jpg
  • Salty Dog
    Salty Dog Posts: 89
    That recipe looks spectacular. I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks!
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    here is the place to get that

http://www.mauricesbbq.com/

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• I have tried a LOT of sauces(and have about a dozen more lined up to try).

I find the that no one sauce is best for different meats or even different cuts of the same meat.

For pork ribs I like Blue's Hog mixed with Texas Rib Rangers Spicy sauce.

Fredricksburg Farms Orange Chipotle is pretty damn good also.

Spacey
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I like SBR's also. Kroger has it for $1/bottle right now along with Cattleman's which is my other favorite.
    I have a good friend who uses nothing but Kraft original bbq sauce. He says nothing is any better. I wouldnt go that far but it is pretty good as far as a "standard" goes. It's like the Budweiser of BBQ sauce.
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    FlaPoolman,

My niece and her boyfriend brought me up (I'm in Yankeeland) some Maurice's Southern Gold BBQ Sauce from South Carolina just last week. They live near Seneca, Clemson territory. We just loved it. It's a mustard based sauce that grows on you. They brought me 1/2 a case, but it's almost gone.

They also brought me 4 gallons of Williamson Bros. BBQ sauce from Marietta,Georgia...it is a vinegar based sauce with tomatoe. Yummy!

eenie meenie
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    SaltyDog,
    Further clarification regarding the sauces I recommended. The Maurice's Southern Gold is a mustard based sauce that is fabulous with pulled pork. The Williamson Bros. BBQ sauce that is a vinergar / tomatoe based sauce is great on pulled pork and we love it on chicken.
    eenie meenie
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    I too typically use SBR, but I love cattleman's too, especially the Smokehouse and Gold (mustard influenced, but not SC mustard style). I always doctor with honey for glazing ribs after the cook. "One brushing only," as the wife demands.

Good question here...

Bacchus wrote:
    I like SBR's also. Kroger has it for $1/bottle right now along with Cattleman's which is my other favorite.
    I have a good friend who uses nothing but Kraft original bbq sauce. He says nothing is any better. I wouldnt go that far but it is pretty good as far as a "standard" goes. It's like the Budweiser of BBQ sauce.
  • FlaPoolman
    Thanks Terry. Sent Todd some Chipotle and next thing I know this shows up at my door. Was unexpected but very grateful to have it.I saved the link cause I know this is gonna be a keeper.
  • FlaPoolman
    Thanks, Big'un sent me 4 different kinds and with the table refinish and only 1 egg going I haven't tried them yet. Gonna change that next week. :)
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Tony Roma's Carolina Honeys was my favorite for ribs. I starting to prefer my ribs unsauced, but still use it for the wife.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Really like Blues Hog and several other 'homemade' sauces..but lately for ease and excellent flavor I have been doing a 'Blues Hog Substitute' that I think AZRP gave me and I 'modified a bit'...
    1 cup KC Masterpiece Original (may try to sub SBR's soon)
    1/2 Cup best honey I can get
    1/4 cup molasses
    brown sugar to taste (start with 1/4 cup)
    several good shakes of louisiana hot sauce to add some kick...
    great stuff!..I even store in my empty Blues Hog jars! :woohoo:
    :woohoo:

I think somebody above mentioned cattleman's too..I like it a lot (smokehouse) and use it for the 'base' in almost all my homemade bbq sauces..
  • Montgomery Inn barbecue sauce, if you can find it near you. It definitely has a taste of it's own, never had anything that tastes like it. The Montgomery Inn is a rib place in Cincinnati.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    I really like this white sauce :woohoo: It's awesome.I'm with eenie meenie on the Williamson Bros sauce.This is my favorite for ribs and butts :)

002-12.jpg

014-4.jpg
  • Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 357
    FlaPoolman wrote:
    Haven't had the chance to try these yet but think they might become a favorite. Thanks to Big'un for sending them.

101_2139.jpg

I just placed an order for them. Buy 3 and get 1 free for $12 and no shipping charge.
  • gwayne
    gwayne Posts: 11
    I usually make my own, but I do like Johnny Harris' sauce.
  • jbrodie
    jbrodie Posts: 111
    On ribs I like Bone Suckin Sauce and SBR on chicken.
  • grEGGor
    grEGGor Posts: 109
    We like Blues Hog as well - but my daughter's favorite is "Ted Reader's World Famous BBQ Crazy Canuck Sticky Chicken and Rib BBQ Sauce"

Making two racks of ribs tonight - one will be Blues Hog and one will be Ted Reader. Keeping everyone happy :)
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I like KC Masterpiece cut about 3.5:1 with honey for pulled pork. I am also a fan of Maurice's original.

For ribs Blues Hog is the way to go.

For beef brisket or ribs I use either Gate's or Arthur Bryant's.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Old Salt,

These are a couple of good ones

036-1.jpg

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    grEGGor,

Are you in Canada? I used Reader's top secret steak rub tonight. Haven't cooked yet but it was salty to my tastes.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    I still use KC Masterpiece Orginal in a lot of my recipes and cooks.
    Mike
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Big Bob Gibson's Red Sauce
    Neeley's Sauce
    Sweet Baby Ray's
    Sticky Fingers

These can be had most places
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Try BH's Honey Mustard BBQ Sauce. Never paid much attention to mustard sauces, but I was impressed.

Also Wee Willy's White sauce for a change of pace.

Trader Joe's KC sauce is very tasty too.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • grEGGor
    grEGGor Posts: 109
    sorry, just noticed your reply. Yes from Canada.

Love Ted Reader - great stuff!