Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

grilled onions

Options
Chef in the Making
Chef in the Making Posts: 902
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was just wondering if anyone has grilled and onion in its skin. I did the other night and was very good.

Comments

• TheHulk
    TheHulk Posts: 157
    Options
    I have grilled several, trying something new each time. I usually wrap in foil and sprinkle with seasoning and add a dash of butter or other liquid. Good stuff.
  • jonboy
    jonboy Posts: 163
    Options
    I like to core the onion and add soy, worcheshire,rub,brown sugar,other inside the onion.
    It just depends what we are serving.
    jon
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I'm a lover of onions, and all 'root' vegetables! So, I'm how wondering how you cooked them? Wrapped in foil, a bullion cube inserted, any liquid added? While growing up, us kids would always fight over the onions from the pan of a turkey or other slow-cooked, oven roast. Acting on a tip from this forum, I often sacrifice some onion chunks and toss them in the fire during lengthy cooks. The aroma is out of this world and whatever's in the Egg gets kicked up a notch or two. Also, it will have your neighbors circling like famished raccoons!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I'm with you Rascal.

About 6 whole yellows in this batch and almost the best part of the feast.

doroast3.jpg

doroast7.jpg

GG
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC05307JPGx.jpg

We always buy a bag and put them into the bigger cooker when barbecuing. They are in there for 4 or 5 hours. Then I cut the top and bottom off and quarter them, adding salt, pepper and a splash of vinegar mop. They are really good.

PS, a small yellow onion produces a great flavor when added to the coals.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Is the vinegar mop just vinegar? Cover it light or heavy.

GG
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    For along time vegetables of any type were not a favorite of mine but now with the Egg and armed with a number of cook books they have become a main stable at dinner. I have cooked them in foil adding EVOO and various spices. I have also added honey, maple syrup and hosin sauce to name a few. If I am grilling vegetables I will some times blanch them to speed the process especially asparagus and brocli. I will wrap the asparagus in proscuito grill it serve with a fried or poached egg top with parmesan cheese and go to town. Sometimes I have to temper my tastes to suit my wifes who prefers her more of the traditional way.

I will have to add the onion to the coals on my next long cook. I suspect it could be better then wood chips
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    It's cider vinegar, some apple juice to mellow it out, salt, cayenne and black pepper. I would sure think that a sprinkle of salt along with a splash of cider vin would work.

I would say a "light sprinkle" for starters, then test it.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery