Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Decisive Moment for the table

Options
Firestarter21
Firestarter21 Posts: 309
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So, I got crazy yesterday and went and bought my materials for my table. Don't have any plans, going from my head, but I am debating if I will leave the egg in the nest or build a platform for it. I will have counter tops on either side of the egg, so I am trying to figure out the design of whether to build around a nest, or build a platform. Pros.... Cons...?? Any thoughts on why I should go one way or another would be helpful.

Comments

• Chef in the Making
    Options
    I also have two eggs, one large and the other is a small. I know I could use a table but don't want to put just one egg in the table. I was thinking of just making or buying table and putting it between them and leaving both in their nests. It will be great to see the pros and cons.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    I will be a lot easier to move the egg around if you just build a dock around it and you won't have to worry about burning a whole through your table. I kind of wish I had done mine that way.

Good luck with it.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    seems like building around the nest would make mantenance and moving the egg a one man job, instead of 2 . you get an extra adult beverage for creativity B)
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    Thanks, Cap'n. That is what we were thinking, mobility. We won't be moving it that often, but when the occasion arises, I think it will be a lot easier than lifting the egg at some awkward angles. I think I will plan on building around my nest. I have a mini also, but I think that will sit in its own table, that I need to refinish. Might watch for a few more pros and cons... thanks for the fast reply!
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I like the idea of one in the table with wheels and one in the nest. A few times a year I have to move one of the eggs to the front yard and the one in table is a lot easier to move thru the grass than the nest is. That may change if I build a summer kitchen, they will both be built in then.
  • gwayne
    gwayne Posts: 11
    Options
    When I built my table for my GD(same size as LBGE), I put handles coming off one side and a set of wheels on the other. Moving it around my deck is a breeze. When I added a LBGE to the mix, I just bought the nest and have it on one side of the table so that the working space is between the two cookers. This picture is "pre BGE" but picture a LBGE in a nest on the left side and you've got my current set-up.
    Butts2.jpg
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Lookin forward to seeing the finished product Barrett.
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    Thanks Ron, I decided to go with two separate tables, on either side of the egg. I think I will let you or Doug host in August, to give me a chance to finish up the table and wrap up a few other projects. Hope you guys get to see the finished product soon! Oh, I will try to remember you when I am in Helen, if I find that store.