Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket 911 help please

General Smallwood
General Smallwood Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put a brisket on at 10:45 last night. CHecked it at 2:00 and it was up to 110 degrees. I just woke up and the fire was down to 190 and the brisket temp was below 140. I don't know ho long it had been that way but it still looks along way from done.

Any hope?

Comments

• My guess is that your okay. Keep an eye on the temp of the brisket, you may still have to run through the plateau still which could be a few hours long.

Good luck with it, hope everything turns out okay for you.

John
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    is the fire still going?

i threw out a butt from my small over vacation, because everything was stone cold. no idea how long the fire had been out.

if the fire is going, you are much better off than if you are simply seeing the heat left in the ceramics.

how low below 140? i'm asking not because being below 140 is bad necessarily, but if it's 100, that implies the fire has been out for a long time, and you basically have beautiful moist warm meat sitting out in the air... not good (except for bacteria)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • I am really not sure and for that reason it has gone to the garbage. I am sick cause I was going to serve this at work so I will just have to go with the ribs. It is the first time my green egg has gone out. What timing. :(
  • ewillie
    ewillie Posts: 155
    I had the opposite problem last night, I don't think I got my fire started right before I put a large london broil on. I couldn't get it to come to temperature, and then it started warming up (while I was mowing the lawn). It was either running 450-500, or when I'd close the doors it would go out.

Long story short, the london broil cooked too fast and got more done than I wanted. It's now chopped up in the slow cooker with BBQ sauce, at least it will make a few good sandwiches.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    well, i don't think i'd have thrown it out. 190 is not conducive to growing bacteria, so no bacteria would be growing on the outside. and there's no bacteria on the inside....

but each person's gotta go where the peace of mind is i guess.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Seriously??? 190 degrees and you threw it away? In the future you should probably just toss your meat in the rubbish as soon as you get it home from the grocery store, that way you won't waste any charcoal.

At 190 the meat is cooking, if there is any doubt, heat a pot of water to 190 and stick your hand in it, then tell me if it is hot. Even if the Egg had dropped to 140, the meat would still have been safe. The intenal temp of a solid cut of meat is irrelevant to safety under these circumstances, as long as the cooking environment is above 140.
  • Thanks,

I will remember that. It is the forst time the fire has ever gone out. My wife is a stickler regarding cross contamination and leaving food out. She decided that since we were serving it to others it would be the best thing to do not to take any chances. This situation is kinda like not burping the egg on a high temp cook. It only happens once.

Thank you for all the input.

Egg ON
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Sean,

Those are the kind of responses we need more of. Straight and direct.

Great to meet you at Eggfest in NH.