Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

another butt ???

Options
cooksome
cooksome Posts: 88
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yea I'm new . I have two 7.5lb. butts on now they have cooked @ 200 for 7hrs. and have a internal temp of 180 is this normal? and do I pull theme off now or leave another 7-8 hours? Thanks.

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    let them alone until the internal temp gets to 195-200 and then throw in a cooler for a couple hours ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• cooksome
    Options
    why did they cook so fast or did they?
    I was expeting 1.5-2hrs. per pound?
  • BENTE
    Options
    i think you may need to calibrate your thermometer

here is a link

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm#calibrate

because 200 sounds low!!!

it is a real easy fix... you are proabably cooking higher than you think.. so take this as a learning eggsperience...

when you smoke.. the meat only takes so much smoke so deep so you may not have gotten a deep smoke flavor.. compare it to the next one you do... you really cannot screw up a butt.... we had one wackjob come in here and tell us all we were stupid for cooking a butt so long... however i have not had a badd butt come off my egg yet... BTW the only bad butt is one that makes others sick :sick:

;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• cooksome
    Options
    Thanks I will check the gauge.
  • BENTE
    Options
    if it is right your progress will slow dramaticly {sp} because the butt will start rendering all the "stuff" from the inside... and it will naturally slow the closer you get to your dome temp ;)

if you get real worried about time send me a email with your phone # i can slur alot better than i can type :pinch: :blush::)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• cooksome
    Options
    :) I will check it tomorrow And get back if it is right.
    Thanks agian
  • BENTE
    Options
    don't go to sleep on it without setting your alarm for a couple hours

i would hate to see your fire go out or you to wake up tomorrow morning and your butt reading 215 internally... or worse yet your fire going out and your butt in the danger zone and you making people sick :sick:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• cooksome
    Options
    it turn out fine cooked for 8.5hrs internal reached 190 it just cooked faster than figured. Thanks alot