Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pork butt

Options
taterhead
taterhead Posts: 19
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
hello all' I'm going to try smoking a pork but tomorrow. Any good lead (receipt)into how I should smoke this piece of meat from start to finish: brine or not to brine, rub or not, what temp to smoke, about how long, what temp internal meat should be? thanks

Comments

• Hitch
    Hitch Posts: 402
    Options
    Go to the search forum tab and put in Pork Butt. You will be flooded with information!

You will no doubt be looking at this in about 15 hours.

Butts2.jpg
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Butts are one of the best and easiest things to make on the Egg. As for me, I just rub mine with John Henry Pecan rub an hour or so before putting them on the Egg. I do mine at 250-275*, indirect, with a drip pan that has liquid in it. At those temps, figure on the cook going 1.5-2.0 hours per pound of your largest piece and pull at 195-205* internal temp. Wrap the butt(s) in heavy-duty foil, then towels and put into a cooler for 3-5 hours.

They'll pull like cotton candy and will be delicious.

DSC01122.jpg
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    no brine... at least i don't i have "brined some butts in coke before but have not since... i just didn't see a reason.....

here is some notes i made on cooking pork butts:::

I have done a few pork buts in my time! I found that when putting on the rub it tends to stick to the butts better if you use some mustard first. Some say to rub the butt before and put it into the fridge for 8...10...12... Hours. I usually just rub it and throw it on. I have found very little difference when I let the rub sit on the but for a couple hours and when I don't. As far as buying just make sure you buy one in the 7-10 lb range. I like them better than the 3-6 pounders. I usually trim off some of the exterior fat to make more "bark". You can place them fat up or fat down if you go with down the final product comes out a little less "greasier" IMHO.

As for pointers on the eggin itself. I usually take out the entire leftover lump out and shake it to get more ash off. Then I clean out as much ash as I can. If you are using started cubes break one into pieces and place one of the pieces into the bottom grate. So that you can light the coal from underneath. I just pour some lump in, others "build" their fire box. I place some chunks of unsoaked cherry wood in for flavor. Place them through out the lump so that different pieces catch fire at different times.

I usually let my butts "rest" in a preheated cooler for up to three hours. Two is probably better.

i will ususally cooke them at 250 dome temp indirect

04-05-2008006.jpg

04-05-2008002.jpg

DSCN0336.jpg

DSCN0084.jpg

DSCN0083.jpg

HTH ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Hitch
    Hitch Posts: 402
    Options
    Do the mustard thing....cook at 235 grate.

The last thing I do before putting them on is fully rub the butts with dark brown sugar. Makes the bark that much more irrestible.

Have fun!
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    I'm new to this egging but I thought you're supposed to leave space between the meat. It looks like yours are stacked on top of each other.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    yea i have done them several ways... but when you run out of room you can stack... butt if you are only doing one or two or three don't let them touch butt sometimes you have no choice ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb