Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket

MeatosBanditos
MeatosBanditos Posts: 259
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I smoked my first brisket last night/this morning. I'm pretty happy with how it tasted. It could be just a little moister I thought, but certainly not dry by any means.

For the rub I used Dizzy Pig's Cow Lick. I also referenced Dr. BBQ's Brisket recipe in his book. The rub was great, I mixed it with apple juice to create the 'schmear.'

I set the egg (with my DigiQ II) to 235, used a combo of Royal Oak lump, some hickory chunks as well as some Cherry chunks.

The brisket cooked for 12 1/2 hours.

Here are some pics:

About ready to come off...
P7190002small.jpg

My big helper, Sadie, definitely dad's bbq princess. :-)
P7190007small.jpg

Ready to be sliced.
P7190008small.jpg

The handsome devil behind all this bbq delight.
P7190011small.jpg

Some of the brisket sliced up. I did put sauce on later, no pics though.
P7190016small.jpg

Hope everyone has a great weekend and gets to bbq at least once. :-)

John
Rochester, MN

Comments

• civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Good looking brisket. I would get a drip pan immediately below it to minimize burning the fat cap. Maybe turn your platesetter upside down?
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Very nice indeed. Make sure to save a slice to go along side your eggs tommorow morning.
  • Thanks for the comments. I did have foil over the platesetter for a while and haven't the last few times. I wish there was more space between the grate and the platesetter, you can't fit a foil pan between the two either. It is inverted as it is, I think the XL must be a little different than the others I've seen in pics.
  • Your Brisket looks pretty good. I am not sure at what temp you pulled it from the BGE but I have had a moist and tender brisket runnin that temp on up to 205. I use to pull it when the internal temp was at 195 but it just was not tender enough and that is why I changed. Just a suggestion.
  • Your Brisket looks pretty good. I am not sure at what temp you pulled it from the BGE but I have had a moist and tender brisket runnin that temp on up to 205. I use to pull it when the internal temp was at 195 but it just was not tender enough and that is why I changed. Just a suggestion.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    dunno bout the 'handsome devil' stuff.. :lol: but ditto on the bbq princess and that brisket looks delicious..nice job!..thanks for the pix..
  • Thanks AJ. I took the brisket off at 190, I would have thought that going higher makes it more dry. But if you say it works good I may have to give that a go next weekend. Thanks for the tip.
  • I wasn't sure about putting the self-portrait up there Eggtucky either, but figured if I did I may as well put something fun. B)

Thanks for the comments on the brisket and my little princess.
  • bayouegger
    bayouegger Posts: 287
    If you have a large, and legs up on the plate setter then you should have plenty of room for a pan under the grill. Great pictures and be proud of that 1st brisket, mine turned out so bad I was ashamed to take pictures of it.

Here is my BBQ princess! She's my biggest fan!

CopyofIMG_1523.jpg
  • Hey Bayou,

It's nice to have a big fan at home! I can't wait until my daughter can help get food prepped, maybe she'll love to cook too. I think a small egg sounds more practical than an EZ-Bake oven!

I have an XLarge, so I don't have much room between the plate setter and grid. :(

Thanks for the comments on the brisket, it turned out real well and a lot better than my expectations. I had a nightmare last night while it was cooking that I overcooked it. Thankfully the DigiQ II prevented any disasters of that magnitude.

Have a great night,
    John
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    looking good!!!!!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    i did not read everyone elses comments before i posted the original message... but with the XL the platesetter goes in between the fire box and fire ring... sorry for jumping the gun...

on a side note i do not own a XL but there are many on here that will give you that advice....

sorry to be a dummy by not reading the other comments....

BTW great looking youngan :)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• I didn't know that they go between the fire box and the fire ring! I wish I would have known that all along! So it won't interfere with the platesetter being right on top of the fire a little? I would guess it'll be right on the fire pretty much?

Thanks for the help--I'll try it like that next time.

John B)