Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Rib Question

Grillmama
Grillmama Posts: 194
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We are going to attempt to slow cook our pork ribs (not baby backs- about 3 slabs approx 5 3/4 lbs) today. Our game plan is to put on indirect on a rib rack around 10:00 this morning at approx. 200 degrees, we need to run errands today, at what temp should we pull the ribs.

Everything I have read states between 160 and 205 degrees.

Your suggestions would be appreciated.....

Comments

• Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    grillmama..ribs is one thing I do more on time and appearance than temp..it's hard to get an accurate temp with all them ribs in there!!..I usually go about 250 dome and cook for 2.5 to 3 hrs, meat should be contracted back away from the bone ends and the ribs should 'bend' easily when lifted...then foil with a mop of honey and some brown sugar...maybe a little apple juice in the foil and cook indirect another hour or so foiled.then remove foil (caution hot juices!) and cook direct another 30-45 mins while mopping with a sauce every 15 mins or so...I consider ribs a bit more of a 'touchy feely' cook than most things...but wouldn't leave them unattended more than a couple of hours in the beginning...
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    The bend test can't be over emphasized. The rack ends should point straight down when lifted from the middle of the rack. Sometimes ribs end up dry because they were pulled a little too early. Ribs are a harder cook then a lot of items. Every rack is a little bit different. Good Luck!
  • Bob-O
    Bob-O Posts: 211
    I would run the cooking temperature up a bit to 250 dome. I never cook to temperature with ribs. I cook them til the meats pulls away from the bones about a 1/2 inch or so. Hope this helps.
  • Grillmama
    Grillmama Posts: 194
    Awesome! All of you all have been very patient with the newbies and it is very much appreciated. It makes it much less intimidating cooking on the egg.

I know no matter how many times the question gets asked you will be there for us.

I will take pictures this time. I may be asking for help on that one too. :blush:

I know have a horse who is waiting to see me.
  • GM,

This forum is all about helping others do well with their BGE products. At the end of the day, we are all newbies because we constantly learn from others how to generate some of the most succulent, mouthwatering, Q using those little green guys... :) Keep the questions coming! And oh... WE LOVE PICS TOO!