Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza

Options
Chainsmoker
Chainsmoker Posts: 114
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is my first attempt at a pizza. I got the whole set-up for the pizza including the screen. I got 3 dough balls form local pizza place. Do I need to let them come to room temp before putting it on the egg. Should I use the screen? What temp should I cook it? Or any tip will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ryan

Comments

• civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    Pre-heat your pizza stone with the egg. Let dough thaw out and rise, then punch down and make crust. I cook mine at 400 dome temp for 30 minutes. I have tried higher, shorter cooks but didn't think there was any advantage. I make my dough and sauce from scratch (brag) very easy. Pizza's are my favorite cooks on the egg and they are fantastic. I put the tomato sauce on, then mozzarella cheese, then pepperonis, sausage, mushrooms, and artichoke hearts. I am going to do a couple Saturday and make the dough tonight to see if that adds any improvements.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Chainsmoker, I have been experimenting with this for the past couple weeks. After making pizza in the oven for many years, the natural progression is to move it onto the egg. I have tried the screen and directly on the stone, they both work. The screen is good if you are not real good with a peel, you can build the pie right on the screen, then just open the egg a couple inches & put it on, while with the peel you have to open the lid a little more & longer (letting out more heat). Unlike civil eggineer, I go higher temp for shorter time which I find gives a crispier crust w/more char, but of course this is a matter of taste, also, the longer the bake & lower the temp will also cause more rise in your dough so you lose some of the 'thin crust' thing (if that's what you are looking for). The dough should be room temp & give a try at making it yourself (dissolve a teaspoon of sugar in 3/4 warm water, then add a teaspoon of yeast & as soon as it foams, add it to 2 cups of flour w/some salt & knead, let rise for a few hours & you are good to go - this will make one large (indoor) pizza or two smaller egg size (14 inch) pizzas) - good luck