Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

tri tip

bigred0526bigred0526 Posts: 11
edited 12:17PM in EggHead Forum
Hello, I Just got the big green egg a few months ago I love it. Wanting to cook a Tri TIp can someone suggest a good recipe

Thank you

Comments

• DavekatzDavekatz Posts: 763
    272996713_SSrrY-S.jpg

Try this one: Beef Tri-Tip

The big deal is not to overcook it. Do a sear over high heat followed by some dwell time over indirect or low heat.

Dave
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • dls2122dls2122 Posts: 66
    How do you go from direct to indirect (besides the obvious) doesn't this really throw the temps off? Or does the platesetter coming up to heat simply help with the cool down? Do you leave the meat in during this or allow it to rest until you're stable again?

Don
  • DavekatzDavekatz Posts: 763
    I pull everything off, put the platesetter in feet up, and then load everything back on.

You're right - adding the platesetter knocks the temp down 75° or so. Then I adjust the vents just to make sure it doesn't climb back up while the cook is finishing.

Dave
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • double Ldouble L Posts: 90
    bigred0526 contact morro bay rich he has a good recipe I don't know where to find it I have a copy but it is too long to put inhere
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,511
    this one works really well, the basting is key. go a little lighter with the rub or use your favorite steak rub. make up the basting sauce and take it off earlier than i did for more rare. this was the first i had done, it only got better.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=230890&catid=1
  • Ike WittIke Witt Posts: 195
    The above mentioned tri tip recipe by morro bay rich
    can be found at eggsbythebay.com under recipe's

good luck

allen
  • bigred0526bigred0526 Posts: 11
    Thanks Everybody for your responses my mouth is watering.
  • BrocBroc Posts: 1,398
    Yep! This Be a Good Recipe...

I use it for a "home base" and vary it a bit this-way-'n-that for change-up cooks...

Love that Tri-Tip!

~ Broc

:laugh: ;) B)
  • Morro Bay RichMorro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    You'd love it even more if you were here. It is on sale this week for $1.79/lb.