Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stuffed Fritos Question

vidalia1
vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Dls, Frank in Houma or AZRP or anyone else who has done these...

my question is if you are stuffing the Frito scoops with raw meat when they get done does the Frito chip have grease in it? or ask another way are these greasy?

also my wife suggested using Tortilla scoop chips...would that work as well?

I am looking to make these Sunday as an appetizer...thanks for any comments back..

Comments

• dls2122
    dls2122 Posts: 66
    No, they weren't weren't greasy (how's that for timing!) He suggested a very lean hamb meat and you dont' have much in each chip, plus I think it crisps up or something, like a baste.

Try them, you'll love them. Tostito's might work, just a different flavor, although being so much thinner they might get greasy.

Don
  • vidalia1
    Thanks Don and you are right...great timing....
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Frank had specified 93% lean ground beef, so grease probably isn't an issue. I too am making these this weekend and I plan to substitute Mexican cheese in mine.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    The grease is absorbed into the Frito and some drips off, I wouldn't say they were particularly greasy. Never tried the tortilla scoops but don't see why they wouldn't work. Most people over cook sausage, it is best cooked to 157 degrees, keep an eye on them with the Thermapen, they cook pretty quick. -RP
  • Not greasy at all and just like AZRP siad they will cook quick.

I used a variety of sizes of chips and the small ones cooked way faster - I suggest trying to keep the chip size about the same so they are finished about the same time.
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Usually the leaner the GB the more water in the flesh.
    I am guessing it boils off and does not make the chips soggy.
  • dls2122
    dls2122 Posts: 66
    To be honest - I'd bet dimes to dollars that last night any "moisture" I had came more from the salsa than from the beef as the tomatoes broke down.

This is an excellent recipe that I can highly recommend.
  • vidalia1
    Thanks for the info...I can't wait to try them.....