Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

burn time

Options
ccrjack
ccrjack Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just bought my first egg. It is a med. can I still get a 20 hr burn time on it?

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Absolutely...fill the lump to the top of the firebox and you will have no problem burning for 20 hours....that is of course a low temp cook...
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I'm sure some Medium owners will chime in with more informed opinions than mine, but I am betting if you fill it with lump to the midway point of the fire ring, and cook at or less than 275dome temp, you will be able to cook to completion damn near anything that will fit on it.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I have done quite a few long cooks on my medium. I have never gone 20+ hours - I think the longest is about 16, but there was plenty of lump left.

At 250* dome temp there is no reason it shouldn't go 20 hours or more.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    Build your lump pile carefully with large chunks on the bottom. I have filled mine to the top of the fire ring and achieved a 17 hour cook @ 250 dome temp with lump to spare. I light in the 9, 12, & 3 o'clock positions. You can get some vertical burns, as with any egg, that will burn out with remaining lump so keep an eye on it! :blink:
  • mattm
    mattm Posts: 56
    Options
    I don't understand your comment...

"You can get some vertical burns, as with any egg, that will burn out with remaining lump so keep an eye on it!"

Can you clarify?
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    Sometimes a fire will burn straight down to the bottom from the lighting point, leaving the surrounding lump unburned. The suggestion for multiple lighting points should avoid this scenario.