Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Slower cooked ribs ??

Options
Charcoal Mike
Charcoal Mike Posts: 223
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all -[p]I normally do my baby-backs in a v-rack over a plate setter / drip pan. I normally cook at 325 dome, for 3 hours, flipping every 45 minutes and spraying with apple juice. I then bump the temp to 350, and go direct for 20-30 minutes, basting with my favorite sauce.[p]While the ribs are excellent, they may be a TAD overcooked, at least on the outside - it is a bit blacker than I would prefer. I see this same characteristic even before I do the final direct part of the cook. I do not think I should pull them off earlier, as the shrinkage is where I would expect it.[p]I am presuming I am cooking too hot. Want to drop to around 225-250 or so. How long will it take at this rate ? I really don't want to have to foil them. Any other improvements to the method ?[p]Cheers and thanks all![p]- Mike[p]

Comments

• DavidR
    DavidR Posts: 178
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,[p]5 to 6 hours at 250* indirect, turning every 45 minutes works for me. Check the "Buttermilk Ribs" thread.

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,
    Since you asked; my opinion would be to drop to 250, maybe 260 and give that temp a whirl. Depending on size of slabs, it might add another 30-45 minutes to the cook you're already used to..... Otherwise, your technique sounds pretty close to what we use here at the ranch.
    Qfan

• Zeke
    Zeke Posts: 90
    Options
    ribs.jpg
    <p />Charcoal Mike, I'm a newbie using the BGE and I believe your fire is too hot. I prepared spare ribs and baby backs at 250 degrees on Labor Day and they were perfect. The rib meat was falling off the bones and stayed moist. Try to keep the ribs b/w 250 - 270.
  • Charcoal Mike,
    Been playing with temps and times. Found that 250 temp for 3 hours indirect with drip pan gets two slabs b/backs about right. Finish with sauce for 15-20 min if desired.

• WudEyeDoo
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,
    I have used Cat's method the last few times and the results have been really good. Using a rib rack, just cook them direct at 250 dome. Nice and simple. No foil. I flip and rotate the ribs about every 45 minutes. When I do 2 racks, the time was about 3.5 to 4 hours. I did 4 racks this weekend and it took longer, about 4.5 hours.[p]Bob

• Big Ed
    Options
    Zeke,
    Now those are some nice looking ribs. My mouth is watering.[p]Big Ed

• Citizen Q
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,
    Saurday morning I cut a 4.5# slab of spare ribs in half, tore off the membrane, slathered in mustard and covered with rub, set in the fridge for four hours and then in the freezer for 45 minutes while I prepped a 200 degree fire with a mixture of hard cider soaked apple and cherry chips and a handful of beer soaked Jack Daniels and Tabasco barrel chips.
    Cooked direct, about four inches over the coals at 200 degrees for 3 hours, turning and spraying with hard cider every 45 minutes, then opened up to 240 and basted the tops lightly in Sweet Baby Ray's for 20 minutes one side then the other, for a grand total of 3 hours 40 minutes. I don't know the internal temp, I just cooked em til I thought they looked done, then reached in and gave it the twist test, the bone at the short end twisted freely at the 3 hour mark.
    These ribs were as near to perfect as I've ever done, with my only self critism being that I think my rub is just a bit too harsh for ribs. Nice, sticky, candied crust all around, meat pulled back from the tips about 3/8 of an inch, not quite falling off the bone, but pulls away easily to melt in your mouth. Even my father-in-law liked em.

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    Zeke,
    It appears that you cooked your ribs direct on a raise rack - is that correct?

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    shiek, I would have to agree. I have tried longer times and mine just overcook. I did some yesterday for 3 hours indirect, 1 hour in foil and 30 minutes indirect with sauce. They were probably the best I have done but a few seemed a bit over cooked. I like the idea of 3 hours indirect and then 1/2 hour direct with saucing.

• Zeke
    Zeke Posts: 90
    Options
    Steve-O,
    No I cooked them indirect using my firebricks and a drip pan with about 2 cups of water. At hour 3, I wrapped in foil for an hour then removed the foil and cooked direct for about 45 minutes saucing every 15 - min. My technique has come about by reading and lurking on this forum. Oh BTW, the meat did fall off the bones. I even took photos.

• ChicagoQ
    Options
    Zeke,
    Those are GORGEOUS! Nice job!