Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how do I cool down

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooked a 12 lb. brisket yesterday. It was fabulous!! It was done much earlier than I had planned. (I could only get the temp. down to about 250) I put it in the cooler in foil and it stayed beautiful for 4 hours - nice and hot and moist.
Am I possibly using too much charcoal? Anyone have any tips on how to lower the temp. for a "long slow" cook?
Thanks for any help!

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    geoff teichmann,
    The secret is to sneak up on your desired temp and start controlling the vent intake and dome outflow about 50° below the low temp you want to settle on. Naturally that temp and time refers to when the fire has taken ahold in the charcoal and not the initial run up in temp caused by the cube starter if that is used.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    geoff teichmann,
    250º is the optimum temp for low and slo. No need to go lower.

• Janet
    Janet Posts: 102
    Options
    geoff teichmann,
    Take RRP's words to heart. Although I've been using the Egg for over a year, yesterday was the first time I tried a long and slow cook by creeping up on the desired temperature rather than trying to cool off and stabilize a hot burning fire. The difference was amazing. I was able to hold a constant temperature all day.
    Took a whole year for this to sink into my thick head![p]Janet[p]

• dublin
    dublin Posts: 140
    Options
    geoff teichmann,[p]I had the same problem
    But now I light from the top, i find this is easier to control the lower temps.[p]Dublin