Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL and drip pans

Options
jstoker
jstoker Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Folks,

I went from L to XL, and encountered one problem--how to use drip pans. I tried the "place setter in between to interior ceramic spacers" (not sure what they are called) approach, which worked fine except that it limited the amount of lump you could put in and the place setter cracked within a year. Is that the best method? Does the limited amount of lump make it difficult to do long cooks? Thanks very much.

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I had the same problem.
    I cut the legs off my plate setter and turned it into a tri shaped pizza stone that I placed on top a drop down rack from http://www.eggaccessories.com/xl.html. Tom then came up with the flip rack system for the XL and this works even better with the cut down plate setter.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Midnight Smoker
    Options
    I struggled with the same problem on my XL until I got the flip ring and rods from "eggaccessories.com". Works great and leaves plenty of room for lump.
  • jstoker
    Options
    Thanks to you both! That is exactly what I was looking for. I really appreciate it.

Jim.
  • Mahi-Mahi
    Mahi-Mahi Posts: 162
    Options
    Same here, I bought the hanger,flip ring, rods, extra grate and a 19 inch stone from laguna clay.

For long and slow I put the hanger so it is hanging down and place the 19 inch stone on it. Than I put the two rods in and place a 18 inch pan from eggaccessories line with foiled. If you hold your temperature below 250 the grease will not burn.
    I sometimes put a pan filled with apple juice on the 18 inch pan to catch drippings.
    I normally use the flip ring up and the smaller grate that you get with the kit from eggaccessories.

I think the place setter for the XL is of limited use and is one of the design flaws of the xl.
    But I do like the XL.
    I bought two side charcoal holders from weber grill and I am going to but them on top of the charcoal grate and put a pan between them with water.
    This way when I am grilling chicken direct the fat falls into the pan.
  • Fire Walker
    Fire Walker Posts: 241
    Options
    I have never had a problem with my XL. Placesetter legs down between the fire box and fire ring, as for enough lump you are only supposed to fill it to the top of the fire box and I have had 23hr cooks and have never had a fire go out.As far as a drip pan a large commercial tin foil pan fits perfectly on the the fire ring, problem solved for about 3.00 dollars.
    FireWalker
  • Mahi-Mahi
    Mahi-Mahi Posts: 162
    Options
    I do not have a placesetter but if you have the placesetter between the fire box and fire ring I would assume that their would be three spots around the placesetter where you do not have a double wall.
  • jstoker
    Options
    Funny, that is what I did, but the place setter cracked pretty quickly. Maybe bad luck? I was pretty bummed. Ah, well, I sprung for the two-grill setup from egg-accessories, which gives you the hanger to hold a place setter a bit higher up. I will try that, now.
  • Fire Walker
    Fire Walker Posts: 241
    Options
    I believe that the fire ring is not for protection for the walls of the egg it is for mass to retain and control heat.
    FW
  • Mitch's Oh Yeah!
    Options
    My favorite XL setup is as follows.

I have the eggcessories setup with the XL Flip Ring, Hanger & Grid Combo and the 16" and 19" stones from Laguna Clay.

The stainless rods holds the 19" stone. I'm using the hanger inverted to hold the drip pan if I need one. And finally the flip ring holds the 21.5 inch raised grid.

I like this setup better because it gives the egg more breathing room with the 19" stone.

Mitch's Oh Yeah!