Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buttermilk ribs

Options
DavidR
DavidR Posts: 178
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
justputon.jpg
<p />I picked up 2 slab package of spares for 7 bucks, and I did the buttermilk/mustard goop marinade. Cooked indirect at 250*. Turned them every 45 minutes. The bottom picture is what they looked like after the 3rd turn. The finished product pics will be on the following post.[p]
after2hours.jpg
[p]

Comments

• DavidR
    Options
    beforecut.jpg
    <p />After the fifth turn, I mopped them with Stubb's Moppin Sauce, and let them go another 45 minutes. The finished them with Stubb's Spicy BBQ sauce, and cooked them direct at 15 minutes a side. To say they were delicious, just didn't do them justice.[p]
    aftercut.jpg[p]

• Joel Ferman
    Options
    DavidR,
    That is some tasty lookin' bbq. Good form!
    -Joel

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    DavidR,[p]Those look great! Haven't tried spares yet. What ratio of mustard/buttermilk did you use? Did you use any rub?[p]QBabe
    :-)[p]

• DavidR
    Options
    apply.jpg
    <p />QBabe, the buttermilk/mustard ratio is 1 to 1. The bowl you see in the pic has 1 cup each of buttermilk and mustard, plus about 3/4 cup of cayenne based pork rub. you put enough rub in it to make a 'goop". You want it thick enough to not run off during the marinade time or while it's cooking on the egg. Marinade time is usually overnite. the pic below is what it looks like before I wrap em up and stick em in the fridge. Hope this helps.[p]
    afterapply.jpg

• DavidR
    Options
    Joel Ferman,[p]Thanks. Believe me, it tastes even better than it looks. :)

• DavidR,[p]Where is the recipe for the buttermilk ribs?[p]thx[p]bob
  • spongebob,
    1 to 1 ratio butter milk to cheap yellow mustard. That simple. Most add the rub of their choice into the goop to thicken and help stick to the meat.
    Cold beers to ya,
    Seth

• ColaCooker
    Options
    DavidR,
    What setup are you using? Is that a pizza stone wrapped in foil? What's it sitting on?
    Thanks,
    Cola

• DavidR
    Options
    holdgrid.jpg
    <p />ColaCooker, I always use this setup when I do ribs. I take an elevated grid and 'invert' it so that it hangs underneath, and then foil a 12 inch pizza stone, and it fits perfectly inside the 'hanging' grid. This kind of setup is perfect when you need to cook a LOT of meat, and you need a LOT of room. I once cooked 7 slabs of spare ribs on a Home Depot rib rack using this method. Jim Slotterback has another method of cooking indirect. He places a grid IN BETWEEN the fire ring and firebox, and puts a pizza stone on it. The he lays another grid on the fire ring. This raises the main grid a little bit, but my method doesn't raise it at all, as you can see in the lower pic. [p]
    gridinegg.jpg