Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First cook!

Options
skihorn
skihorn Posts: 600
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Took delivery of my Large BGE today and did my first cook. Did jalepeno/beer bread. (The dealer gave me the mix as a "gift.") Very good!

More importantly, the BGE was so easy to use. Very easy to light (fire starter), and I had no trouble dialing in the temp (375 indirect) and played around with it some. Even when it got a little hot (from my excessive tinkering) I had no trouble getting right back down to 375. I never had to bring it down more than 20 degrees. I am sure if you get it way over your target that could be a problem.

I did do the dollar bill test before I started. It was snug all the way around except back near the hinge where there was one place it did provide resistance but only very slight. Is that okay?

Can't wait until tomorrow evening!

Comments

• Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    You're probably ok, but you can loosen the band that holds the dome, Press down on the spot in the back and retighten. Works best if someone helps so you can still be applying pressure as it is tightened. If alone, you can put 2 quarters on the gasket on the side opposite of your loose spot, someone recently mentioned this, sounds like it would work.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Sounds like you have a good seal. Certainly enough to put the fire out when you shut it down.

I have a feeling you're going to be in for some very good enjoyment in the future.

Welcome aboard.

Spring "Nine Year Egghead And Still Learning" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • hdrider
    hdrider Posts: 32
    Options
    Please accept a suggestion on starting a fire in the egg. Lite a paper towel with a little oil (any type of cooking oil) on it in place of the starter cubes. I'm a newbie that learned this trick on the forum about two months ago. It works great and is a lot cheaper than the starter cubes. Welcome to the cult- I mean club :)
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    It sounds like your seal just fine. I wouldn't mess with it. I wish you had taken some pics of the bread. You've got to remember 1 rule before eating....P & P(Prayers and pictures)!! :lol:
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    Thanks to all for the posts and info!

Big'Un: Unfortunately, I am technologically challenged but may have to learn how to post pictures. BTW, I love your sig.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    "P & P(Prayers and pictures)!! "

LOL - Good suggestion.

Kent
  • DynaGreaseball
    DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    Options
    Sounds like a good seal. I've never had mine that good all the way around. Welcome aboard. We look forward to your future posts.

Once you get a little more practice with your egg, just ask how to post a pic. Everyone will be glad to help.