Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Copper River salmon

Davekatz
Davekatz Posts: 763
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We finally got some of these fine fish in our market and I did one up on a plank: Planked Copper River Salmon

Very tasty. My only complaint is that when I've had this dish in restaurants they get the fish crispier. Any ideas for doing that on the Egg? I'm afraid if I go to nuclear temps the plank will burn through before the salmon is done.

326057650_iK8JJ-S.jpg
Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    you could go indirect at high roasting temps and simply add cedar chips (just a few) the fire.

the plank itself doesn't flavor the fish, just the smoke. of course, the plank makes it indirect, but if it's burning too quickly, try the chips (seems odd though). you could slip foil under the plank ofr most of the cook and let it smoke at the end, too.

plenty of ways to skin a cat. er, fish, i guess.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Stike,

Have you done cat on a cedar plank? I find the cedar overpowering and usually use maple.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Davekatz
    Yeah, I think cedar would be too much for catfish or any other mild fish. But, surprisingly, I like it for scallops. Going to have to try maple.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Dave,

I was joking, maple is mild though. Alder is really good for fish too.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• double L
    double L Posts: 90
    Yes I don't think he was referring to cat fish
  • Eggecutioner
    Eggecutioner Posts: 628
    What do you think about hittin it with a torch for a few seconds, like a Crem Brule?

E
  • Davekatz
    Not kitties!?! :ohmy: :( :ohmy:

226654905_NxS3N-S.jpg

They're too stringy and tough.
  • Davekatz
    I'm sure that's exactly what one of the restaurants I've had planked salmon at does. Either that or the same kind of infrared broiler they use for steaks.

I think I'm going to try soaking the plank really well (overnight) and then doing it on a raised grid at 600°F.

Dave
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    I think you hit it right on....I'm betting they finish it under a broiler....

You could try that or the blow torch method. Blow torch sounds like more fun.

One other suggestion...Throw some butter in a cast iron skillet and finish it that way? Just and idea to get it crispy.
  • Hot Stuff
    Hot Stuff Posts: 82
    try this....get one of those cheap throw away pizza screens at wally-world and cut it to the same size as your plank....fasten it to the plank with the fish in between....when you the think the fish is about done, flip it and finish the fish on a direct cook....maybe put a little olive oil on the fish