Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken suggestions

Options
Rolling Egg
Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Im gonna cook two birds tommorrow standing up. Just wondering if anyone had any advice. Im gonna throw them on @ about 350 and cook till there done. I have Pecan rub and also some John henrys cherry rub. Never used cherry. Not sure what Illuse. Also have ragin river and shakin the trees. Going with hickory for the smoke. Thoughts?

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I personally find hickory a little overpowering for chicken. Cherry or apple - or even no additional smoking wood - work great.

Otherwise your plan sounds good to me. Shakin the Tree is a great rub on chicken.
  • hdrider
    hdrider Posts: 32
    Options
    I cooked two 5 pounders the other night and they turned out great. I used the stainless stands and cooked indirect at 400 dome for about 1.25 hours. I put an aluminum pan underneath them with two cans of beer. I also used JH along with a little season salt and cayenne pepper. Make sure you use something to rest the pan on so the bottom stays off the platesetter. The birds were very moist and they had a good skin on them. Truly some of the best chicken I ever ate. Man I love my egg!
  • hdrider
    hdrider Posts: 32
    Options
    Rod, you see our posted ride on the 23rd? Randy is lead and I'll be going as well. Where can I get the shakin the tree rub?
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Agree with Fidel. Just pull according to temps. I like them in the racks at 350 indirect, time is approx 1 1/2 hrs. Spatchcocked is another great way. Here's 2 in the V rack.

101_2044.jpg
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    I do have some apple. I usually throw my hickory on and gor right on with my cold ribs. Will I get any bitter taste from the apple if I go on with the bird right behind the wood? I do love a smoked flavor, thats why I do my ribs that way. I know alot of people say let the smoke clear, but i try to get all the smoke I can on my pork.
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Options
    DSCN3372.jpg
    DSCN3374.jpg
    DSCN3376.jpg
    Try 500* chicken for 1hr. its the best chicken I've cooked. Indirect.
    Ross
  • Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 357
    Options
    Did a beer can chicken the other night. Soaked in brine for 6hrs. Seasoned with lemon-pepper, Mrs Dash and garlic powder. Set it on a pie pan high in the dome and cooked it for 90 minutes at 350*.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    There sure are a lot of ways to cook chicken on the egg.

I just finished cooking 4 birds direct raised grid. 2 @ 400° and 2 @ 500° for 1 hour. I check temp at 45 minutes to make sure but they all seem to be done in 1 hour.

I was a bit surprised how moist the 500° birds were. The skin gets pretty dark to some black but it sure tastes good.

The 400° always seem to come out golden brown, pretty good skin (not crispy) extremely moist.

I don't brine but sometimes I do marinate in a vacume tumbler.

I would just season the birds with your favorite seasoning I like Raging River. Get the egg stabilized at 400°, raised grid for 1 hour. Don't do anything special or go vertical - just put the birds on the grid. If you can't cook raised then I would use the plate setter legs up and cook there. Indirect may take a bit longer to cook, you will need to check meat temp.

As far as flavor smoke. Make sure your egg clears out the white smoke from the lump then put the flavor chips/chunks in, some folks wait for clear, I don't.

I prefer in this order for chicken, Cherry, Apple then Hickory. Hickory will impart more smoke flavor. Fruit is best.

Also, extremely good is Grape Vine (better then cherry) and Jack Daniels Old No. 7 is really good. I am not sure why but the flavor in the bird is not like the smell of the chips in the bag - but it gives an excelent taste.

If you want a fantastic chicken meal get a foil pan. Put a little EVOO in the bottom, slice some spuds & onion, some peppers, green and hotter. Get a little italian sausage (spicey or sweet your preference). Layer the veggies in the pan. Lightly S&P the layers and put a couple of pats of butter on top. Put the try on some spacers on the setter. Then the grid then the chicken.

Use the 400° temp and about 15 minutes before done put some cheese on top of the top of the veggies and finish the cook.

This combination is just fantastic.

Oh & don't through away the carcus and unserved bones.

GG
  • Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 147
    Options
    I have done stand ups and splatchcocked methods. Both work fine.

I use hickory on my chicken, but not to the extent that I use on pork or beef. It will overwhelm the chicken if you put too much. Fruit woods work well. You can use more without overdoing it.

Protrude On

Cajun
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I usually use pecan chips on my chix and stuff them with a cut up apple. 350 indirect in a v-rack....

Skin comes out crispy and meat stays moist....
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    Ross,

Are you using spacers between PS and drip pan? Looks like a loose foil wrap on the drip pan - does that help reduce burning fat smoke?
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    I would go easy on the smoke with chicken, specially if you are going to have leftovers. Something happens in the fridg overnight that makes the smokyness way stronger.

I don't use smoke at all with chicken.