Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket for Breakfast - Part II

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As per earlier post I took 11.5 lb brisket off at 7:00a.m. after just 9 hrs at 260/270 dome. Wrapped & stuck in a cooler for 2.5 hrs, & then went at it. Sliced the flat, & pulled the point. It is, quite simply, the best brisket I have ever cooked. Flavor is excellent, fall apart tender, & above all, really moist & juicy. It appears my earlier theory that the shorter (surprisingly so) cook time did in fact cook & render the piece before it had a chance to get too dry, which had plagued my earlier cooks. Of interest also is the fact that the average temp of this cook (260-270 dome) was higher than my earlier attempts when I first started Egging, most of which were at a dome temp of approx 225, with temps often diving during the nite. 260 has proven to be much easier to maintain overnite, at least for me; temp for this cook was basically steady all nite. I now also know that 260 dome gives me approx 248-250 at the grid, at least once the cook is well underway. Lotta good data this time around; our technicians at mission control will probably be months analyzing it. In the meantime, feel free to stop by for brunch - we got a pile of it sittin' on the counter...ERIC

Comments

• DavidR
    DavidR Posts: 178
    E.B.,[p]An 11.5 lb. brisket in 9 hours, at a 250* grid, and it turns out juicy and tender? Interesting! What kind of brisket was it? Select, choice, or prime?[p]Congrats! BTW!

• DavidR, Honest Injun, that's the way it went down. I did mean to check if the piece was choice or select, but I simply forgot & the label is history. Don't know what to do as far as timing future cooks is concened. I do know that briskets (flats) half this size have taken twice as long, however. ERIC

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    E.B.,[p]What rub or recipe did you use? I've never had brisket, but sounds like a challenge...![p]Thanks,
    QBabe
    :-)[p]5 days and counting til my small anniversary egg is here...!

• QBabe, Nothin special - "Wild Willy's" from "Smoke & Spice". Did rub it down with minced garlic first, & after applying the rub slathered it with French's yellow mustard. Used a fist size chunk of red oak & a small handful of hickory chips. Came out yummy - sittin' down to pulled beef sandwiches as we speak...ERIC