Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Plunge

Options
Scott
Scott Posts: 47
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So, I've returned to my senses and am about to shed the gas grill (I used to have a Weber)for a BGE. I'd be interested to hear what some of the veteran 'eggers think are the "must-have" accessories for a rookie.

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    toolshack.jpg
    <p />Scott,
    It doesn't take much to get started but this is what you will end up with.My wife made me get all my cooking tools out of the house,i had taken over the kitchen.This is a 6'x8' building in our back yard,it use to be my daughters playhouse and now it's my playhouse.
    YB

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    chest2.jpg
    <p />Scott,
    I am with YB - you gotta start collecting stuff, some you'll use a lot and some maybe never again. My website has a bunch of items pictured there that might help. I have some listed as "must haves". Many things are redundant like firebricks or a plate setter and fire cubes vs electric starters. Both do the same things but in different ways, decide which sounds best to you or see if you can find what you want in your area (firebricks are hard to find in some places). [p]Tim

[ul][li]Tim's BGE place[/ul]
  • Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    barc05s.jpg
    <p />Scott, Welcome to Eggland!!!
    Eggers such as TIM M, YB, Spin, GfW ect... will always offer you great advice, and help with your BBQ needs at anytime..with pictures along with their eggspert procedures...which is the beauty of this forum. I have recieved priceless advice from them, and always do what they suggest.
    It takes much eggperience to become an eggspert. Cornfed and I have been Eggin' for a little over a year and still are rookies, and still have a ways to go. My suggestion to you as a rookie myself, is only get a thermometer..temperature is crucial. As time goes on and gain more eggperience u can then see what eggscessories fit your needs for the more advanced Eggin', rather then buying a bunch of them in the beginning and never using them.
    ST(E2K impatient)

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    YB,
    I think we all should have one. I'm trying to firure out how to get a meat locker in mine. Heeeee[p]MAC

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    MAC,
    When you figure it out let me know,i need one also.My mother bought me a 8 quart stainless colander yesterday,the first thing i thought of was it would make a great wok on the egg,i will wait a little while before i get black on it,it's real pretty.
    YB

• Teslamania
    Teslamania Posts: 144
    Options
    Scott you will love your egg - check out Tim's site. It is great. Let's see - what can I not live without?[p]1. Polder type thermometer, and instant read thermometer.
    2. Combination daisy / slider metal top
    3. Ash tool - for cleaning out the Egg
    4. Rack for roasts, ribs or chicken - consider a sitter for chicken.
    5. Smoking woods - your choice - chips and chunks
    6. Smoke and Spice - cook book
    7. Stuff for indirect cooking - I use fire bricks and a metal 18 inch weber grate. I will probably spring for a plate setter soon. Consider the "extended" grill - see "what's new" at the top of the forum. [p]Probably left a lot of stuff out. E mail me if you have any other questions!

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    METALGRATE.JPG
    <p />Teslamania, and don't forget one of these. Fill this baby up with pealed shrimp and crab stuffed mushrooms and paint them with something exhotic and watch the fun begin. Draw you a pattern the size of your existing grate and go to a metal fab shop. Get it in stainless. I would rather give up my dog than this thing..

• Teslamania
    Teslamania Posts: 144
    Options
    King-O-Coals,[p]Hey, I saw that on one of the pics you posted and wondered where you got that thing. Thanks.