Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

10Lb Leg Of Lamb Luau Style in the Egg?

Options
The Other Dave
The Other Dave Posts: 205
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have this leg of lamb and I don't want that "mutton" flavor I experience years ago. I love lamb chops in the egg and they don't have that flavor. So here's what I plan to do:[p]1. Season, use lots of strong herbs such as rosemary and basil. Also mint because I understand it's illegal to cook lamb without it.[p]2. Wrap all the above with a few banana leaves. Wrap all this in several layers of heavy foil.[p]3. Cook very long at 225.[p]My goal is to simulate burying the meat such as in luau style or as they do for javelina (and goats) in Arizona.[p]What do ya'll think? Will this work? Any recommendation as to time? Temp seem okay?[p]

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    The Other Dave,
    Sounds great! I'd add some granulated garlic to the herbs (I've always thought it was illegal, or at least immoral, to cook lamb without mint AND garlic).
    Ken

• BlueSmoke,[p]That's part of the "season" so tha's covered.[p]After further thinking on the fire aspect I believe burried meats are exposed to VERY HIGH heat and then cooled very slowly from that initial HIGH heat. So this moring after bundling the leg in the herbs, banana leaf and foil, I cranked the egg to 650. Placed the package on just now and will monitor the temp decrease. [p]To early for beer is the only drawback so far!

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    The Pther Dave,
    "Too early for beer" has to mean you're out and the store's closed. ;-)))))[p]How much time are you planning to give it? You may be onto something with the "falling temp technique". Please post your results.[p]Ken

• The Other Dave
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p]Well the dome temp is down to about 190, but the leg got up to 200! I guess I over achieved. Oh well, I think the leaf and copious herbs and the foil wrap will keep it moist.[p]I will leave it in the egg a few more hours as I continue to sample this new Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat beer. I'm not sure I like it yet, so I'll continue to sample.[p]The family has decided to make Gyros with the lamd with feta cheese and pasticio(sp?) Sounds fine with me, know any Greek beers?[p]