Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQ II Help

Options
EGGLANDS BEST
EGGLANDS BEST Posts: 211
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have the DigiQ II and would like to know if someone has a tutorial or help page that would help guide me in the right direction of how to use it correctly i'm trying to understand how to set it correctly for different uses such as pork butts ribs cookies cakes ect. i did a pound cake the other day on the BGE it came out ok and i have to remember that the egg holds a steady temp unlike the over that rises and fall with the temp thanks in advance

Comments

• Smokin-AJ's
    Options
    Here is what I do for the low and slow cooks. That is anything under 300.

I have a 10cm fan so I close it off at the at the halfway mark.

Plug the fan into the door adapter

Plug the blower into the guru

Plug the pit probe into the guru

Clip the pit probe on the grate, away from the food.

Plug in the food probe to the guru

Power on the Guru.

Plug the food probe into the meat.

set the pit temp to 250.

set the food temp to the desired level

close the pit.

THAT's IT. I do this every time and it works.
  • run4jc
    run4jc Posts: 107
    Options
    Perfect description. I've used mine for 2 cooks only, but it's set it and forget it easy. Start a 'little' fire in the corner of the lump opposite the bottom damper, close the lid (after doing all the stuff Smokin-AJ's said),and watch it come up to temp then literally lock on that temp.

Did wings yesterday - when it was 30 minutes to go dialed the DigiQ up to 350 and it slowly worked the temp up to there - and locked in.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Are you having problems? The only thing you can set that would be different from one type of cook to another would be temperature and the opening of the damper on the blower. Temperature should be obvious. Setting the blower damper is basically more open for hotter temps, and more closed for lower temps. Other than that, what kind of problems are you having?
    The Naked Whiz
  • EGGLANDS BEST
    Options
    My problem is that i'm unsure how to setup the DigiQ for dome temp where do i place the temp guage to get an accurate reading also i did two butts not long ago and i use the maverick and the DigiQ to monitior both and they both gave different readings for the pit can't remember the exact readings now but they were off from each other and the BGE Dome temp reading how do i solve this issue
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    If you are following a recipe here, most people use dome temp as the reference point. In that case clip the pit probe to the dome thermometer stem. For example, cooking pork butt at 250* means clipping to the dome thermo stem and setting the Digi to 250.

If you are following another baking recipe or instructions that are for oven baking, clip your pit probe to the grid, making sure to clip it over one of the legs of your platesetter for the best reading. For example, baking brownies from a box - if the instructions say 375 then clip the probe to the grid and set the Digi for 375.

When baking I also like to spin the gird 180* about 70% of the way through the cook just to make sure it is cooking more evenly.
  • EGGLANDS BEST
    Options
    Thanks for clearing that up a little more