Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking on the Large Egg

Options
ferdelious
ferdelious Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
hello everyone, i just received a hand me down Large Egg from my uncle and want to try smoking low and slow. I have only used a smoker with offset firebox before so refueling and temperature control was not much of a problem. I am curious to see how its going to work with the Large Egg. I was thinking about buying a 12 inch step stone from Lowes to put over the coals for more indirect heat. Also I was wondering if I'm going to need to refuel at all if I'm doing a brisket that takes 12 hours.

Comments

• DynaGreaseball
    DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    Options
    Man! Are you in for some fun! I have a medium and I can cook low and slow for about 22 hours without refueling. I'll defer your other questions to my forum buddies. They'll have plenty of advice for you on eggcessories.

Welcome aboard.

P.S. Do you have a digital camera?
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Welcome! Here is a link to a site I go to often and there is brisket help there.
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/brisket.htm
    You can do another cook after the brisket is done with the lump that is left ;) you will love your egg. what a cool Uncle! LOL
  • Big Easy Egg
    Big Easy Egg Posts: 191
    Options
    Go to a BGE dealer and buy a platesetter for indirect cooking. You won't need to reload your lump charcoal on a low and slow cook on a brisket. I have gone 20 hrs. on a butt and had plenty left when I finished on my XL. Look at the BGE website or www.nakedwhiz.com for some instructional video.

You are a lucky man to get an Egg for a hand me down, I got tennis shoes :P

Jimmy
    Come visit NOLA
  • Rockporter
    Rockporter Posts: 19
    Options
    You are going to love your Egg. One of the great things is that you should not have to refuel. Just make sure you go low and slow.

As for indirect cooking, I highly recommend a plate-setter. It is a nearly essential part of the egg setup. It is designed to fit in the egg and allows heat to get by and around the food on the grill.

Good skill.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Buy a platesetter from your dealer instead...use a drip pan or HDAF...load up with good lump charcoal & your favorite smoking wood and be prepared...you can smoke 20+ hours without ever adding lump charcoal if you build the fire correctly...no kidding...
  • dls2122
    dls2122 Posts: 66
    Options
    Welcome aboard. I'm also new to EGG cooking. I bought my EGG expecting about 80% of the claims to be true - nothing is REALLY that good and easy. Boy have I been suprises. I have not found 1 eggageration yet. Everything I have cooked on the egg has become an instant favorite. My kids are making fun of their dad the broken record.

I made ribs low and slow for the 3rd thing I did on my egg - it was far easier than any method I had done before - as long as I left the egg alone it didn't have any problems - the only temp changes were my fault when I couln't believe I just left the ribs alone and didn't have to play with wood or fuel or anything. I had to play! Anyway - it was my 3rd use of the 1st pile or lump and the other 2 were steaks and burgers over roaring heat - after the ribs were done in 6 hours I still had plenty of lump left for another high temp cook. It's really hard to believe how efficient this is! I'm am more amazed every cook.

Don
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Plate setter is a must have. It becomes a component of your egg rather than an accessory.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Welcome! First, the egg will cook for extended periods of time, especially at low temps. I have started with a full egg(lump), cooked for 18 hours and still had lump left over. A 12 hour brisket wont be any trouble, at say 275F.

As far as the stepping stone goes, I think I would use fire bricks instead, so that there is no stepping stone pieces shattered into my food and egg. A plate setter is a tool that ceramic people use and it works well in the egg too. A pizza stone will also work, or anything that will absorb/deflect the heat will work. I have used a pan below and the grid set up on beer cans. Just make sure the air flow is not impeded. I would not set the heatsinc on top of the lump or you'll stop the air flow. HTH. Enjoy!
  • Gandy Dancer
    Gandy Dancer Posts: 273
    Options
    Get a plate setter and here is a LINK that will help with a brisket cook.
  • Trailblazer1229
    Options
    Congrats on the hand-me-down egg. I am not going to beat a dead horse, I mirror what everyone else said. Do not be afraid to experience with other foods as well. There is a learning curve. DOn't give up. Read as much as you can. My favorite it the butts and pizza on the grill. Welcome to the family. :)