Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Floating Table??

Nardi513
Nardi513 Posts: 66
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got a new table for my large. It is the fake deck stuff, not enough time to build my own so I bought one. My question is the egg doesn't reach the bottom part of the table and hangs slightly above the slate that came with it. I can by a thicker stone but wasn't sure if this is an issue. Let me know what you guys think.

IMG_2702.jpg
IMG_2703.jpg

Comments

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    You need a thicker stone below the Egg - that lower shelf needs to be supporting the weight, and also you need to have an air gap between the sides of the Egg and the top shelf (at this point they must be touching, assuming the Egg is being supported because it is wedged into the hole in the upper shelf).

You can buy a paver or two at Home Depot. Also, be sure to put the little BGE "feet" between the very bottom of the Egg and the paver stones.

Good luck,

jason
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    My first thought is that you need to raise it high enough to give about 1/2" clearance between your Egg and your table top all the way around. Maybe more depending on the melt temperature of the "fake stuff" you used for the top. Be sure to allow for the ceramic feet to give some air space between the Egg and the stone.

Spring "Cleared For Landing" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • TRex
    Great minds think alike. ;)
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    You need a paver stone or something much thicker.

You can not have the EGG hang like that. It is very dangerous.

Take a look at my setup with 1" paver stones underneath.

IMG_0742.jpg

Greg
  • I would strongly advise against using the Egg until you get the aforementioned clearance at the hole, the thicker paver and feet under it.

btw- that paving stone looks a bit small, the feet will probably be hanging off it. When you get a thicker one, get a larger one. I think mine's 18x18, tho 16x16 may be fine.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    And at the same time...

Spring "Timing Is Everything" Chicken
  • Nardi513
    That is what I figured but for the price of the table from the dealer I thought it would be setup correctly. I will get the thicker paving stones for the clearance and put the feet on. Thanks as always for the advice.
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Maybe the table is for the next-size-down BGE? I would talk to the dealer and have him/her make it right.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    My BGE has two 2" pavers underneath it and it sits on 3 egg feet for air ventilation...
  • I believe Stanley is correct, it looks like the table is made for a smaller egg, maybe you can simply do a swap out. Using your egg as it hangs will lead to a cracked egg as the ceramics will expand when hot, just like when large area of cement are poured without the proper spacing, and it cracks up. Also, you need some space between the egg and the table around it. Check out the nakedwhiz's site and see tables that get burned or scorched even under paver stones that do not use the 3 feet.
  • TRex
    That's exactly what I was starting to think - look how high in the table his Egg is sitting.
  • Rivermute
    Rivermute Posts: 35
    Safer is better then homeless. I am on the local fire department so am naturally paranoid having seen the worst case scenarios. Personally I have a layer of fire brick topped with a paver under the egg. I made sure there was a fairly large gap around the egg and have even gone as far as placing some 1/2" fire board down on the deck in front of the egg for long unattended cooks. The board slides up into a nice little rack under the table when I am done. Hell it doesn't hurt to have a fire extinguisher on hand either.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Umm, I think I'd enlarge the hole rather than raise the Egg even higher....
    The Naked Whiz
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Thought of that too, but better yet to get the right sized table.
  • If that is a large, and if you are going to cut a larger hole, the standard hole is 21 inches.
  • Grillmama
    Grillmama Posts: 194
    Thank you for posting this! We are getting ready to purchase a similar package as Nardis513. Large egg with the large table. Now I know what questions to ask and what to look for.
  • HungryNephew
    HungryNephew Posts: 267
    Where did you buy this table and how much was it?
    I'm interested in getting one too.
  • Grillmama
    Our local egg dealer has them for approx...$400.00. I think they are made out of cedar. (some really hard wood anyway) on wheels. The table measures 58" long.

Our dealer has a shorter one for aprox...$300.00, same wood, on wheels and measures about 42" - 48" (If I had to guess)
  • If it was not for the pic of the hanging egg I would not think this tidbit of info was needed. Before buying a table, figure what thickness of paver stone you will use under the egg. Then get the measurement from the bottom of the egg to the bottom of the hinge in the back. This way you will know that when you set the egg into the table your hinge will not be resting on the top of the table. 1) it would mess up the hinge, 2) your egg will not open.
  • Grillmama
    Got your e-mail. Thanks! Great info....

Send pics please of your raised grid set up. Is it less expensivee that buying a raised one from the dealer?
  • Nardi513
    I got this one from my dealer, it is called Aztek or something like that. Basically the decking material that is not wood but looks like it. Ran just over $500 for the table. I have to speak with them about the size it sounds like.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Yeah, this is not a good situation. Cut the hole bigger, raise the Egg, whatever, but DO NOT try to cook with the Egg dangling like that. It will melt your table.

Also, please look into putting some sort of heat-resistant top onto your table, too. You're going to want to put hot things like grates, plate setters, etc. somewhere while you're doing stuff in the Egg, and you'll ruin your table if you set them directly on it.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    I see a table fire or a cracked egg in your future unless you make a change to the paver
  • Nice tables East Cobb. I still have my small on the ground - prolly going to put it in the same table as my XL. It's already real heavy to move but I haven't moved it for quite a while so I may as well make it heavier. Was going to make a new table but my brelly will cover boat of them when needed.
  • WileECoyote
    WileECoyote Posts: 516
    Really need to be careful about how you mount the egg. An air gap underneath the egg between the stone and the base is critical, as is the air gap around the sides. Some good info here which may help.
  • Nardi513
    I took the egg out and measured, came out to 20 3/4 inches. Not exactly 21 so I called my dealer to see what they think. Didn't sound like they were using the full 21 on the openings but they have to wait until Tuesday to confirm with the guys they get the table from.
  • Been here and done it…
    Me thinks that either the hole in the table was cut wrong, or you have a table for a Med. Egg.
    I got the wrong table (it was for a MGE.) and had the same situation going! I ended up getting the saber saw out to cut a larger hole so the Egg would fit down further. It still sets higher then it should, because of the lower support / shelf being set for the shorter Egg, but at least it’s not too high….That center of gravity thing could become a factor.
    My advice…Fire up the saw, make the hole large enough to give clearance and set the Egg as low as you can on the bottom shelf.
    My two cents!
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    You can get real cheap terra cotta plant pot feet at Home Depot or Lowes garden dept and they are higer than the BGE one included with you egg. mine are great.
  • BoneDaddy's
    BoneDaddy's Posts: 257
    What is the difference between a paver and a fire brick? I have a 1" paver under mine, not sure where to get a fire brick.
    Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering
  • WileECoyote
    WileECoyote Posts: 516
    A true firebrick is made from special materials so that it will be more resistant to high heat and less likely to crack, split, or explode. Common pavers are made from concrete which provides at least some degree of insulation but it also absorbs a fair amount of moisture which makes it likely to crack, split, or explode from frequent heating and cooling cycles.

You can get firebrick at almost any major hardware store, brick yard, masonry supply, or grill/fireplace dealer. Split firebricks are the same as regular firebricks but only half as thick. You can buy the splits at most fireplace stores, Tractor Supply, and Ace Hardware. See this article for more information including links and photos on where to buy firebrick.