Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rookie question

Options
dls2122
dls2122 Posts: 66
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got my first egg just before the 4th of July weekend and have used it for every dinner except one since then(couldn't figure out a good way to make tacos on the egg!).

I have a rookie question regarding the ceramic top - when I'm done cooking - is it better to close the daisy wheel completely or remove it and place the ceramic top on the egg? Which way cools off quicker and saves more lump coal? Thanks in advance for your input.

Don

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Welcome aboard! The rain cap is best suited to snuff your fire - Miss Daisey is too loose! :P
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I think they are both about the same in effectiveness. I just close my daisy top and air intake and the fire goes right out. I think the ceramic would be better to protect it from the weather.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    here is a taco recepie::::

Mexican, Tacos, Pork, Al Pastor

Tacos al pastorAuthentic tacos al pastor consist of marinated pork slices cooked on a vertical rotisserie with a big chunk of pineapple on top. The cooked outside is shaved off and served in tortillas with salsa and fresh vegetables. Below is an adaptation for backyard cookers.

3 guijillo chilies
    3 pasilla negro chilies
    1/2 med onion chopped
    3-5 cloves garlic smashed
    1/2 tsp oregano
    1/2 tsp cumin
    1 tsp salt or to taste
    1 tsp blk pepper or to taste
    1/2 cup white vinegar
    1/2 cup pineapple juice
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1 Tbs achiote paste
    1 Tbs brown sugar or pilloncillo
    2 lbs boneless, country style pork ribs. Try to get the leaner ones that are not sliced from a pork butt.
    1 fresh pineapple
    1 or more whole onions, optional

1 Wash and toast chilies. Stem. De-vein and seed if desired. Soak in hot water until soft. Blend all except the pork, pineapple, and optional onions. Fry the mixture in a little oil for a few minutes to develop the flavors. This is your adobado. Cut pork into lg 1 1/2" chunks. Put into a ziploc and pour in adobado. Toss around to coat and marinate in the frig 24-72 hours. Turn and mix daily. Prep the pineapple and cut unto lg chunks the same size as the pork. Alternately thread the pork and pineapple onto large kabob skewers. You may want to add optional chunks of onions. Salt and pepper.
    2 Sear over a hot direct fire turning to brown all sides and move to indirect to finish cooking. Baste w/ left over adobado after boiling. You want a good sear on the outside. Chop up and mix to make a taco filling
    3 Serve w/ wm tortillas, chopped lettuce, onions, and grated cheese. Fresh salsa, a red chili sauce, and a fresh hab salsa are the classic sauces.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, DTM, 2007/09/28

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Welcome! No question is a bad one if you don't know the answer :) I put my daisy wheel in the egg and the rain cap on to put it out. that cleans the daisy and helps keep any rust of it. The daisy on my med is so loose I don't think it would put anything out, but the mini and the sm and lg are all tight. We cook on ours every night. had company last week and the lobsters were steamed. that is the only thing that does not get egged in our house I think. LoL and if you change from Tacos to fahittas then the egg will be happy LOL
  • dls2122
    Options
    Wow - gotta love this forum -- I made a joke (which happened to be true)and wound up with a great sounding recipe that I have to try. Thank you! For that matter, thanks to everyone for their response.

Don
  • Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 357
    Options
    The screw on my daisy was too long and let the cap wobble. I put a washer under the head of the screw and the cap now fits flush.
  • snoqualmiesmoker
    Options
    You will need a spider for this one.

Skirt Steak

½ cup olive oil
    ⅓ cup soy sauce
    4 scallions, washed, and
    cut in halves
    2 large garlic cloves
    ¼ cup lime juice
    ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
    ½ teaspoon ground cumin
    3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
    = (or Mexican brown sugar)
    2 lbs. inside skirt steak, cut 3 equal pieces
    Flour or corn Tortillas
    Whatever salsa you like (I roast tomatoes and blend my own.)

Using a spider to get close to the coalsm Heat charcoal, preferably natural chunk, until grey ash appears.

In a blender, put in oil, soy sauce, scallions, garlic, lime juice, red pepper, cumin, and sugar and puree. In a large heavy duty, zip top bag, put pieces of skirt steak and pour in marinade. Seal bag, removing as much air as possible. Allow steak to marinate for 1 hour in refrigerator.

Remove steak from bag and pat dry with paper towels. Using a blow dryer, blow charcoal clean of ash. Once clean of ash lay steaks directly over hot coals for 1-3 minute per side. When finished cooking, place meat in double thickness of aluminum foil, wrap, and allow to sit for 15 minutes.

Remove meat from foil, reserving foil and juices. Slice thinly across the grain of the meat. Return to foil pouch and toss with juice. Serve with grilled peppers and onions, if desired.

This recipe yields 8 servings as fajita meat or 4 as main course.
  • Mainegg
    Options
    dls2122 wrote:
    Wow - gotta love this forum -- I made a joke (which happened to be true)and wound up with a great sounding recipe that I have to try. Thank you! For that matter, thanks to everyone for their response.

Don
    LOL that is the way it is on here. You will never lack for help unless it is 2 in the morning and even then spring chicken might help you out :)
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Take the metal top off and place it on the grate.

Put the ceramic top on and completely close the bottom vent.

Now you shut down your egg and You are keeping your top fairly clean..
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I also steam my lobsters and just did 2, 1.5 pounders yesterday. I use a steaming basket set over a little H20 in a large pot and do them outside on the base unit of a turkey fryer, using the almighty, 20# gas bottle for fuel. They're done in no time and it sure beats boiling their flavor away in gallons of water! Ate all the claws & legs yesterday and now I've got the tails ready to make a few lobster rolls. What would we do without all those brave men(?) and their fishing machines?~~
    DSCN0576.jpg
  • Mainegg
    Options
    Rascal, that is how we do our too, they aren't full of water when you crack them. It was fun as our friends had never been to Maine and we got a doz 1 1/4 for the 4 of us and ate till we were bursting! Besides we had to find something to use the tanks from the old gassers for :lol:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    How long do you steam them???

GG
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    About 14-15 minutes for a 1.5 pounder. Enjoy!!~~
  • middle size
    Options
    I just got my egg.... what coals are right for this bad ass machine?
  • dls2122
    Options
    Some of the eggsperts here will probably have better info, but you absolutely want lump coal. BGE sells bags of it that people say are very good. I like Cowboy lump also. I bought Royal Oak lump and wasn't as impressed, although no major compliants. Just seems to take longer to come up to heat. But again - it could have been the loose nut in front of the egg and not the lump at all.

Don