Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two eggs, both act different! Why?

Options
Buckethead
Buckethead Posts: 285
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have my small setting next to my large hoping that behavior patterns will rub off.
1. The small doesn't start-up as fast. Why?
2. The temp doesn't register as high. (I have calibrated the thermometer but still don't think it is correct.)
3. I cooked my gasket on the small after 12 cooks. It came off clean at a registered temp of 400. Was it installed properly? (The large has at least 750 cooks on the gasket.)
4. Shut down time on the small is 4-5 hrs. Large 1.5-2 hrs.

We all have diferent personalities, same with our Eggs?

I am sure it has something to do with the operator, just searching for answers to fall in love with the younger child...........
Doug

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    They all do tend to have their own personalities. However, if the small won't shut down in a couple of hours, it sounds like you have air getting in. I used to have 2 smalls and the length of time that charcoal would burn in the two was quite different. I burned the same charcoal side by side in the two cookers (controlled by Guru's) and could see something like a 20% difference. Also, a fellow who used to post here a lot and who was a competent user of the Egg could not get his small Egg over 550 degrees. I can get mine over 750 easy. Maybe it is a zen thing.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Options
    I have similar problems, it seems to take my small much longer to get running than my large.

Walt
  • Longknocker
    Options
    My small takes longer to startup than my large also. I'm guessing it's an air flow thing. You have to make sure the bottom grate has some clear holes or you won't get enough airflow to get it up to temp.
    I have not tried getting the small up to nuke temps.
  • Buckethead
    Options
    Another observation is the fire box (on the small) is not snug against the wall of the Egg as the large.
    Overannalization on my part!
    Doug
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Options
    I ran my small last night wide open to clean it and plate setter, it got up to 600*.

Walt
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    I've always had this issue with the small. Cowboy, Wicked Good, Green Egg, and Royal Oak lumps all produce same results. I'm envious of you for being able to get yours up to those temps. so consistently. I don't think mine has ever gotten over 600 degrees! My feeling has always been the draft door on the small isn't large enough......it's the same size as the mini!
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I agree that the draft door on the small is not big enough. I have been taking the DFMT off all the way to get it up to temp, but have reaCHED 600DEG.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    my small is slow to start, myabe 3 times longer than my large, and it wont hit the same high temps as the large, i dont think my small will go much over 800 were the large easily hits the 1100 degree mark. shut down and gasket havent been a problem with my small. ive also found that two large eggs will react differently and dont know why. even with the egg that cracked, when i changed out the bottom the settings were alot different, low and slows used to have a bottom vent about a credit cards width, now its more than a quarter inch opening to hold it for the night.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Our Small acts totally different than the large or med. the mini will blow it away for light times too. But shut down is not a problem. I think they really like our kids LOL all a little different :cheer:
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Miss Penny burns quite a long time and I have had her up to 700.

Haven't really tried that with Six.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Compare apples to apples. A small and a large are apples and grapes.

Yesterday I had two Large Eggs side by side. Cooking their hearts out for a catering gig I did.

While they are both sitting at 400 one used more lump to do it.

Nature of the beast..
  • Buckethead
    Options
    Knew that when I purchased, they aren't the same. BUT my question or questions still remain. (and there may not be an answer.)
    Why won't the small get to high enough temps to T-Rex a steak? Completely clean Egg with vents wide open with fresh RO lump. But cook a gasket! (With a reading of 400 degrees.)
    I'm by no means an expert but I have been fairly successful with the large. I'm just trying to find out what I need to do different to be better at what I'm attempting.
    Thanks
    Doug
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    is it nature of the beast or nature of the lump....did ya open a fresh bag of lump with one egg getting the top of the bag (bigger chunks) and the other egg getting the bottom of the bag (smaller chunks)

T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    The small will get to high temp, but all the planets need to be in alignment.

You need to make sure that the large opening in the firebox lines up with the hole in the vent. The firebox need to be absolutely full. The holes in the fire grate can not be blocked. The metal top need to be off.

Lastly you don't need to get beyond 600 degrees to get a good sear.
  • Buckethead
    Options
    I just cleaned the egg, opened new lump big to medium chunks. Top off with bottom completely open.
    Thanks for asking
    Doug
  • tjv
    Options
    try stuffing the gap between the fire ring and egg's inner wall with aluminum foil. Just tear off a sheet of foil long enough to go all the way the ring. roll the foil via long side and stuff. This helped on my medium to get to higher temps. Forces drafting through the firebox.

T
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    wow i have never thought of that i will mark this idea down as my thing i have learned today.... next week i will learn how to make a proper sentence... and spell...

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• tjv
    Options
    I came to the realization a long time ago, my fingers can't spell or formulate a proper sentence.....LOL. T
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Buckethead,

It would seem your long shut down time and gasket burn would lean towards a air leak in the gasket.

There has to be some air getting into the egg for that long of a shut down time.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    tb,

I think Tom has hit the nail on the head. I really was frusterated with my medium to the point I am thinking of selling it.

I will make a new post with some testing I have done with regard to tvj's foil pluggin.

Kent
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    I believe hell would have to be mostly frozen over for that event to happen...

Fully Frozen over would mean my ex-wife has assumed her rightful throne there...
  • BENTE
    Options
    what for me to learn to spell, or use the english language properly :lol:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
  • BENTE
    Options
    don't sell it!! each egg acts diffrently.. i have noticed when i run someone else's egg they smell diffrent and act diffrent... besides if you sell it you are too far away for me to be able tobuy it and give it a loving home :(

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    smart a$$

still love ya tho.... anyway those people in g-wood better be happy we were not there they would have all fell a place backwards.... lol

just kidding to all the teams that went sounds like the egg had a great showing

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    too many eggs & not enough eaters... lol.

GG