Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Direct Butt

Options
Wardster
Wardster Posts: 1,006
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A friend of mine, who recently bought his first egg, can't wait to do a butt, so he's going after it tonight. He does not have fire bricks or a plate setter.
I told him to put it in a v rack and place a drip pan filled with water underneath. Refill the drip pan every 2 hrs or so.
Any other suggestions to help him pull this off? I have never gone direct with one.
Thanks

Apollo Beach, FL

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy Wardster,
    If he uses a drip pan and a v-rack, he is cooking indirect. Your plan would work fine....I would not bother refilling the drip pan though...and water is optional. Best to leave the cooker closed instead of opening every couple hours to refill. 225-250 dome, and let 'er roll.[p]The cook could also be pulled off direct if he doesn't have a drip pan/v-rack, but I would keep dome between 200 and 225 if going direct. [p]Beers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm used to it. Yes, a drip pan is indirect, but will it actually achieve the same success as using a platesetter or fire bricks? I'm assuming much more heat will run up and through the drip pan than the others, which is why I suggested keeping it full.
    Am I oversimplifying things?

Apollo Beach, FL
  • hounddog
    hounddog Posts: 126
    Options
    Your assumption that a drip pan does not do as effective a job at spreading the heat as a pizza stone on a plate sitter is correct. Having said that, I agree that the drip pan still makes it indirect, thus giving you more room for error than with direct. A successful cook with a drip pan will be indistinguishable from one with a plate sitter. There are degrees of indirect. The more indirect, the more room for error.
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Wardster,[p]Actually, the ceramic mass is added to allow higher cooking temps to be used without burning. You could do a butt for 20 hrs at 225° over a drip pan or at 275° over a plate setter for 16 hrs (times are just for illustration only). [p]Tim
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Wardster,[p]A ceramic mass of any sort would provide a better insulator between the fire and the meal. Using water as a heat shield is problematic, particularly with a low and slow cook. The water represents a heat load on the fire, resulting in the temperature rising as the water slowly heats up and evaporates (the heat load diminishes). Adding water to replenish the loss increases the heat loading, dropping the temperature. Each time the dome is opened, the heat (and moisture) is lost, adding time to the cook.[p]A nice compromise is to do the cook dome closed, using a glass (pyrex) baking pan as the drip pan. Glass is a much better insulator than metal. Cover it well (inside and out) with foil to make cleanup easy.[p]Spin
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Wardster,

Yes, a drip pan will achieve the same success as firebricks or platesetter for a low and slow cook. [p]As long as you don't let the temps run away from you and keep it in the target range (just as you would with bricks or a platesetter) there is very little chance to ruin the butt.[p]The drip pan, like the firebricks, is only going to get as hot as the air sorrounding it. The drip pan, unlike the firebricks, will not add any thermal mass to the cooker but just do the job of deflecting heat. I have found that without the added ceramic mass the cooker is easier to heat up and cool down and temp control is more responsive.
    Hope this helps.... I do all of my low and slows with just a drip pan underneath the meat.[p]Have a great holiday weekend.... and don't forget the beers![p]WD

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    hounddog,[p]Very well stated.[p]Spin