Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
As we round out National BBQ Month, we hope you’ve gotten to try some new recipes that will keep you cooking all summer long. Check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

split chicken

EggoholicEggoholic Posts: 90
edited 7:10PM in EggHead Forum
when you split the chicken to cook it do you split the breast side or the back side.
Thanks!
sven
·

Comments

• lowercasebilllowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatchdef.htm

1. To spatchcock the poussins: place them breast-side down on a chopping board. Cut down either side of the backbone with poutry shears or a sharp pair of kitchen scissors and lift it out.
    ·
  • tjvtjv Posts: 3,311
    cut the backbone out....simple to do with good pair of scissors or tin snips.
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
    ·
  • EggoholicEggoholic Posts: 90
    thanks
    ·
  • thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC03832a.jpg

I have my own style when it comes to butchering a chicken. The dark and white meat cook differently, and are done at different internal temperatures.....so, I split them on the pelvis into a dark half and a white half. If you want the breast to lay flat, you can remove the backbone, but it stays moister if you leave it in.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
    ·
  • GunnarGunnar Posts: 2,010
    Too cool, you can snack of the wings while the rest of the bird cooks. :P I can see the direct cook, what dome temp do you go for?
    ·
  • thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    I guess about 275° +/-.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
    ·