Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked fire box

Options
SmokingLong
SmokingLong Posts: 34
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Veteran Eggers -

Does the plate setter create a significant temp difference btw the dome temp and below the place setter? Made pizza last night (which can out great) using a newly bought plate setter for the first time. Dome temp went up to about 600 degrees. This morning when cleaning out the ash I noticed the fire box is now in three pieces. I also ended up smoking much of the gasket so I will have to replace that also. Also the fire grate is now in two pieces.

The fire box still holds it form so today I am smoking a boston butt. Hopefully it will turn out ok. Although smoke is seeping out where the gasket got fried.

Comments

• Mitch's Oh Yeah!
    Options
    Your situation sounds like a disaster.

My firebox cracked 2 weeks after my purchase of a XL BGE. Most of my cooks are lower heat and I only went to 500 degrees once on accident. My dealer/distributor replaced the firebox without any questions. I was told that as long as the firebox holds it's shape there shouldn't be a problem. I'll keep my replacement as a spare.

I can't believe your fire grate cracked too.

Good luck.

Mitch
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    The plate setter holds the heat down in the forebox longer than a direct cook, making the firebox get much hotter. Many people cook on cracked or broken fireboxes for years. The firebox is covered with a lifetime warranty. If you are patient your dealer can get you a new one with their next order. If you want one now you will have to pay shipping. If you did a pizza you most likely used the plate setter legs down. That puts the setter level with the gasket. The fire comes up, hits the setter, then turns and goes straight at your gasket. Pizza cooks are tough on gaskets. If you need a new one call Atlanta and order the new Nomex gasket, they say they hold up much better than the old school gaskets.
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    P.S. I believe the fire grate is a warranty item as well.
  • Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    Options
    Anyone have a picture of the Nomex gasket? I need new gaskets (again) and thought about the Rutland gasket, but I don't know anything about the Nomex. Do you replace just the bottom, like w/ Rutland and use felt on top, or is it two pieces? While I'm asking, is there anything wrong with using Rutland gasket on both surfaces?